This may be a stupid question .. But ..

Dawnie

I'm going to ask it anyway ..
Has anyone ever had their top (soft top) fly off?
I was on the highway and I could have sworn that thing was going to fly off .. it was banging around SO much and I was wondering is it something that ever happened to anyone - or should I just ignore it ..it's all buttoned on all right except i am missing 1 snap but other than that everything is on right, it only happens of course when I am on the highway at like 60 (which is the fastest I can go lol) and have the windows open or off etc .. I started to thinking , if this flys off ... :shock:

image-missing.png

No, never had that happen......

Most of them do make alot of noise under those conditions. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was really severe and the frame of the top was bouncing around and stuff.

I have heard of it happening with the bikini tops if the are not put on right, but not a regular top. However I did notice, on my YJ, the channel on the windshield did become lose over time. I replace the screws with the #10 size stainless steel to pull it down tight.

The top is still noisey and no real threat.

mike

RE: Meeting the Muds: A Short Story

I have had my top pushed in by rain before but not by wind. I agree check the windshield channel if it is loose you could have issues. My case was driving through St. Louis during a really heavy rain storm, I don't know how it happened but the top got popped out in the middle of the windshield and the soaking ensued. Luckily I could immediately pull over into a gas station that had a canopy over the pumps to fix it.

Oh, and in the thread mentioned, I said I had some doubts about liking the BestTop SuperTop they sold me, but after a year with it on, I like it much better than the OEM top. The support bars are so much better in the way they lock in place, the top is tighter all around, and much easier to put up or take down.

RE: Kumho Dealers

Yes, there should be 4-6 screws that hold the channel that the top slips into, to the windshield frame. With the top out of the channel you if you can wiggle that channel you will want to remedy the situation by tightening the screws (and be careful when tightening as to not strip them).

Back