this my be a stupid question

mandarrin

how can i tell if i need a new battery or an alternator?or maybe you can aswer this question.when the engine is running can i disconnect the battery and the engine will still be running or well it shut off when i pull the battery cable off.thanks guys[addsig]

Ive tried this. It will die when you disconnet the battery cable with a good or bad battery. Just about any auto parts store will check your battery for you, just take it to them. They can check your alternator also but you have to take it off yourself.[addsig]

If you have trouble starting your jeep, the alternator might not be giving the batery enough jucie to run on. Make sure your belt(s) are tight, and get that battery tested. it both are ok, it is your alternator.

James

91 yj 4 banger[addsig]

ok.so the belt has to be very tigh because i just bought a used alternator and it might be the belt.i jump start it yesterday and it was runnig good. then i turn it off and it turn back on by itselft but this morning it didn't want to turn by it self so i jump started it again,but it kep shut in off after a few min.[addsig]

Check your wiring too. I had a similar problem with my cutlass. The starter was new and the alternator and battery were near new but I had to jump the car everytime to get it to start. What they problem was in that case was someone before me had run a hot wire off the starter to an amp gauge cluster. The hot wire on the cluster wasnt tightened enough thus didnt complete the circuit. A couple twists of the wrench to tighten everything and I didnt have a starting problem any more.

Rule: check all the wires coming off your alt. and starter and make sure they are connected correctly :cool: [addsig]

is your battery refillable? If so, (if its not it will say DO NOT OPEN real big on top) there is a rectangular cap right on top. Pop it off with a flat head and look into the holes. They should be full of liquid. If they are dry, fill them with distilled water. They need to be full or the battery will not take a charge from the alternator. When you jump it, it has to run for a while before the battery will recharge, 2 minutes in the driveway is not enough. Jump it, take it for a ride for half an hour or so. Then shuit if off and it should start right back up. [addsig]

If itis your battery, You will have starting issues, but once jumped, it will run cause the alternator is supplying a constant charge. If you jump and it stalls and does not start, you have a bad lternator.

If you have a computer controlled vehicle (fuel injected) your car will not run with out a battery. If your jeep has a carb, you can remove the battery and it will continue to run. (No eletricity is required to power the computer, fuel pump, ijector, etc..)

Johnny[addsig]

thanks guys this helps alot.i think i was running the jeep with a bad alt so the battery die,but now it starts when i jump it and it does not stalls it just shuts off if i don't give it enought gas.anyway i think it my be the belt is not tight enough or my batterie is diying.[addsig]

Back