Tilt Stearing column

avyoung

I just noticed that my stearing column is really loose were it tilts. It has about 1/2 inch play up/down and to the right. Can this be fixed or do I need to replace the Column?

80 CJ5

My 88 chevy did this. It was easily repaired but took soom time. I had to remove the column and at the bottom is a nut tighten it up and put on some lock tight you should be all set

Hello avyoung,

Your problem is a piece of cake to fix.

There are three #30 Torx screws inside of the upper steering column housing which loosen over time and use. When those three screws back off, you get excessive slop in the tilting mechanism.

There are several web articles that detail the GM tilt-column repair procedure. (The tilt column in your Jeep is a GM column.) Of those web articles, I have found the article hyperlinked below to be the most thorough and best illustrated.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

You will need the lockplate spring compressor tool shown in the article. A lock-ring pliers would be helpful, but you can work around the lack of those pliers. Both tools are relatively inexpensive.

If you need additional help, let me know. I only today finished re-habbing a Waggy tilt-column in preparation for "waiting-for-warmer-weather" installation into my "Bubbacon," CJ-7.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: Two afterthoughts: (1) You might also need a steering wheel puller, but that can be rented at AutoZone. (2) This repair can be done without removing the steering column from the Jeep.

Thanks Guys. That made a huge difference. The only problem I had was getting the Ignithion switch out. The wright up and The haynes manual said it had Screws holding it in. Mine had a tab you had to push down then with your other hand pop it out. It toook a while to figure out.

Back