Tinting vinyl windows

camsyj95

I have been trying to find a way to get my yj's front vinyl windows tinted for the longest time now and haven't had a bit of luck! I know its possible because i've seen jeeps going down the highway with it but never get a chance to ask them how or where? Any ideas or suggestion? Also, window decals that stick to rear vinyl windows?

I've never seen them tinted other than the factory ones.

even thought of maybe some type of spray on tint, if there is such a thing, if not someone should invent it!

Why?

if you really want them tinted, just get the upper soft half's with the sliding glass, and tint those.

i'm not going to pay that much for a new set of windows then have to turn around and have them tinted when they're not even on the jeep half the year anyways. they look good when they're done thats why i want them

I don't know if it would stick, but you could try static tint.

I think that the other guys are right - windows are normally tinted from the factory. I haven't seen anyone tint vinyl.

Short answer: Just spend some money and get slider windows. You save yourself lots of time and trouble. Read the long answer for 'why.'

Long answer: My YJ has tinted rear windows. The way they do it is, they take the base clear vinyl when it is still a molten liquid and they inject tint coloring into it. It is then mixed for even consistency while still 'wet.' Then they let it cool, roll it, cut it into sheets and make the windows out of it. So the tint on the windows is actually coloring bonded with the vinyl. The vinyl itself was tinted like that before it ever reached the Jeep factory.

There is a way, but it's quite costly (it'll cost way more than slider windows) and will only last for a few years (and that's only if you don't get a lot of sun where you are, or your rig is garage-kept.) Static tint will stick but you need to buy new sheets of clear vinyl that haven't been stretched/deformed by the sun. Then, tint that. Then, cut it to fit and have a canvas/interiors shop replace the old vinyl in your window skins with the new vinyl that you tinted (this is the expensive part.) You'll also have to figure out some way to keep the new vinyl firmly taught while you apply the tint. Laying it flat on your garage floor won't work; it has to be perfectly flat and even. Otherwise you're going to get massive amounts of bubbling, and that never looks good. Finally, it will eventually start to look really bad as the sun hits your new vinyl windows and they deform from the heat.

Is it even legal to tint the windows on the doors?I know in PA you can only tint windows behind the front doors,that is for the safety of the police officers.

depends on the state. Ma you can tint the front windows, but it is a very light tint. I know in florida, you can almost completely black out the windows if you want.

i dont know it sounds like its way more trouble than its worth and besides the legal limit in north carolina on the front is 35% which sux. but thanks for the replies anyways.

Back