Tire/Rim Question for BDS 3" Lift

montana_jeepn

I just bought my 3" BDS lift from ECOR for my 03 TJ Sport. Now comes the question of tires. I want to use 33x12.5 tires.

Can I use my Stock 15x8 Canyon rims with 33x12.5's?
And if I do, will they rub the frame at all?

Eventually, I want to get new rims. BDS calls for a 15x8 rim with a 3.5 backspacing. The stock backspacing is 3.75. Most of the rms I see for sale have 3.75. Will this work even though BDS calls for 3.5???

Everyone is telling me to go with a 15x8 instead of a 15x10. What is wrong with a 15x10?

I don't want to buy rims that I can't use,

Thanks in advance.

M_J

Dont know about the backspacing, but id say the reason people are telling you to go with the 15x8 is cuz you'll be able to air down more without losing the bead.

Nathan

33x12.50's will work well on 15x8's. I think stock backspacing is actually 5.25", at least it is on YJ's and XJ's (I'm sure it is on stock 15x7's anyhow). You can use your stock wheels, I've seen alot of TJ's with 33's on Canyons, but I don't know if they rub or how badly. Give it a try, maybe get a set of 33x10.50's instead of 12.50's or if you need to adjust your steering stops a bit until you can get new wheels.

A 1/4" difference between 3.5" BS and 3.75"BS wouldn't be noticeable.

Thanks for the replies!

In short term, I think I will go ahead and get 33 x 12.5's and run them on my stock Canyons, then assess whether or not I wil have to change backspacing with my new rims.

I'm pretty sure I will have to get extended flares with the 33's. PA is pretty strict about such things and I'm already sticking out about 1 inch with 31 x 10.5's.

33 x 10.5's would be an option, but don't you lose some side to side stability? Do 10.5's get better mpg then 12.5 since they are thinner?

M_J

Newbie Question -

pretty sure they will rub on the stock wheels the back spacing is no where near 3.75

Everyone is telling me to go with a 15x8 instead of a 15x10. What is wrong with a 15x10?

Absolutely nothing. I PREFER the 10" wheel on a 12.50" tire for the type of wheeling I do.

hey i just saw a pic of a tj with your wheels running 33 12.50 but it had 5 in of lift dont know if that will make a difference and it was just a pic so not sure if they rubbed or not

it was on jeepforum.com but i miss read it he had 3 in of lift then had 2 in wheel spacers to get his wheels away from the frame i thought head had a 3in lift with 2 in coil spacers

Has anyone had experience with the Geolander? They were suggested to me awhile ago and when I recently looked them up, they look really good. Any experiences good or bad?

Here the top three I'm deciding between:

(33x12.5x15)
Dunlop Radial Rover RV (Off Road All-Terrain) $103
Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II (Off Road All-Terrain) $103
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO (Off Road All-Terrain) $127

Thanks,

M_J

A few guys from this site have posted that they run Geolanders, and I haven't heard any complaints.

Yeah the 33x10.50's would have less drag and less weight. With stock wheels/backspacing, they'd be a better choice. Like I said before, the stock backspacing is 5.25" on stock 15x7's, so I'd guess the 15x8's are pretty close to that.

If you want some cheap rims that are backspaced for 12.5, Quadratec has cragars for 29.95 a pop. I bought em.
I don't think you will fit 12.5's on stock rims. I tried and rubbed really bad. That other guy probably had some spacers on his stock rims. They are not safe especially for wheelin.

Back