TJ front coils

Ggg

I am looking for some alternative front coils to use on my very heavy front TJ. I have a Cummins diesel engine swap (engine weighs about 800#), 1 ton axles, and 38.5" tires. I still have a front winch to mount too. I have installed 6" TJ lift coils but have excessive front rake (at least 2"). I have considered some ACOS coil adjusters but worry they will not give enough adjustment. I have a set of FSB/F150 6" lift coils and I am considering them, but I wonder if they will flex enough.
Any suggestions on alternative coil springs to use, or input on using F150 coils?

I would try the ford coils. they should flex better with all that weight than if it was a stock 6 cyl. also cot any pics? you running a 4bt or 6? I think you need a build thread!

in short it is a; 98TJ, ax15/231, D60hp, Sterling 10.25, both 4.56 & detroit locked, BTF trusses and covers, PolyPerf. link brackets, radius arm front suspension, double triangulated 4 link rear, 38.5" Truxxus M/T's, Cummins 4bt.
Still a work in progress, build up thread,,nah then I just get people telling me what they think I did wrong.lol

Last edited:

you lost me at truxxus, but got me back with the 4bt :)

get a build thread up!

Tonight I installed the F150 coils and they gave me 2.25" of lift over what the TJ coils did. The Jeep still has a slight rake but IMO nothing to worry about. The suspension is firmer and hopefully handle the winch weight. The free length of the 6" TJ coils and the 6" F150 coils was almost the same, within 1/2" or less. So considering the weight I have up front these might work.

Last edited:

With the ole' Cummins in there your winch weight would become trivial, I would think... Unless your winch is from an M35 :lol: . You're going to have an awsome Jeep when you're done. Please keep us posted. Best of luck - John

Here are a few pics
first is a comparison of coil springs;
Orange are 1979 F150 6" lift
Red are TJ 6" lift
Grey are TJ 4" soft ride
Second photo is how it sits today with 6" TJ rear coils, 6" 79 F150 coils in front.

Attachments

• DSCN0967.jpg
    DSCN0967.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 938
  • DSCN0971.jpg
    DSCN0971.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,204
Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment, but really it has been a very long time in the works, just keep making progress and you will get there.

I live in the Rockford area, and have family in the western burbs so I am there one day about every weekend. I get into S. WI often visiting friends and plowing snow.
For Bounty Hunter I spent 4 years in Carbondale/Murfreesboro area too, gosh I love it down there.

Last edited:
86 was my last year, back before the city tried to crack down on the parties and back when every year we were rated high on Playboy's list of party schools.

Back