TJ Full Doors

Saddle Tramp

Here is a picture of my new-to-me toy I just picked up. 1999, 4.0, auto, 112K. I also picked up full hard doors (not shown) but need to do some adjustments to get them to close. (sagging to low at the strike) I tried to loosen the hinge screws but not much luck; stripped one, loosened one, and the rest aren’t moving. I’m not a body guy. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1999 TJ.jpg
    1999 TJ.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 797

Put your socket in the hinge screw and give it a few taps to try and break free anything that might hold it tight. Then give it a twist to see what happens that might help. If its stripped to the point of no meat to bite on, drill it out and replace it.

I removed the door panel from the door and sprayed the screws from the inside and on the head as well. Let it soak then i used a manual impact driver with a medium size hammer and worked on all the torx bolts loose after a while.

Hey, I've got those same rims! You don't happen to know what make / model they are do you? I've been trying to get a spare rim for 2 years now but no one can ID them.

Attachments

• IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 959

Terry- The center caps say American Racing. I'll call the guy I got the jeep from as he may know, however I think Les Schwab Tire Centers out here in the west carried them last I knew. These are 16" rims on my jeep.

How do you get the window crank handle off. Is there a screw or does it just pull off?

There's a U clip behind the base of the handle and the grommet. You can pull it with a paperclip or a pick that has a hook. Be careful when you tug on it, it will fly and can easily get lost.

Terry- The center caps say American Racing. I'll call the guy I got the jeep from as he may know, however I think Les Schwab Tire Centers out here in the west carried them last I knew. These are 16" rims on my jeep.

Thanks man. The wheels aren't anywhere on American Racing or Les Schwab's websites. I've got the same center caps on mine, but the back of the wheel doesn't have any manufacturer on it.

Did your Jeep come with a matching spare?

Thanks man. The wheels aren't anywhere on American Racing or Les Schwab's websites. I've got the same center caps on mine, but the back of the wheel doesn't have any manufacturer on it.

Unfortunately I did not get a matching spare but I only paid $5,200 for the jeep. In the Northwest that is a smoking deal so I guess I can't complain about the spare. The jeep was filthy on the inside though; it came back pretty much with a lot of elbow grease. It has been a few years since I saw the rims at Schwabie's (but I haven't been looking) so maybe they have been discontinued. I'd like my spare to match too so I may need to start haunting the junk yards. What size and back set are your rims and I'll keep my eyes open. Les Schwab is the big dog of wheels and tires around here so there is a chance some may pop up.

Last edited:

Terry-

I found out from the guy I bought the jeep from he got the wheels at The Tire Factory about 4 years ago. I searched their web site and think I found the right ones; it is a little hard to tell with the reflection in the picture. I can go to the local TF around here and check if you don’t have one where you live. Let me know.

American Racing - Atlas AR-160

http://www.autowaretech10.net/nextwheels/tire_fac50.htm

Terry-

I found out from the guy I bought the jeep from he got the wheels at The Tire Factory about 4 years ago. I searched their web site and think I found the right ones; it is a little hard to tell with the reflection in the picture. I can go to the local TF around here and check if you don’t have one where you live. Let me know.

American Racing - Atlas AR-160

http://www.autowaretech10.net/nextwheels/tire_fac50.htm

Thanks Kriss, but I don't think those are the ones I have. I've searched about everywhere I can and asked two different tire chains, but can't seem to find them...

This is the Atlas AR-160

51hUFYnmX9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51aNIX26zoL._AA300_.jpg

It looks almost perfect except for the bumps along the rim - mine doesn't have that. It's close enough that I may buy it for my spare though...

Sorry, I feel like I've hijacked your thread.

Back to the OP's question. Take a drift or flat tipped punch that will fit inside the torx and hit it sharply several times before trying to loosen them. It shocks the head and threads usually loosening them enough so you don't strip the torx out. Same trick works on allen head bolts.

Back to the OP's question. Take a drift or flat tipped punch that will fit inside the torx and hit it sharply several times before trying to loosen them. It shocks the head and threads usually loosening them enough so you don't strip the torx out. Same trick works on allen head bolts.

Ggg-

Great tip, Thanks!

Back