TJ steering box interchangeability?

I looked up the parts ruling according to a 97 TJ with powersteering. It shows 96-01 are interchangeable on the TJ's.

ah. so apparently not the same as an XJ.... or a YJ....
I'm debating hanging onto it as a spare or letting it go. itll fit my 97 TJ but being that I drive it like most true "Jeepers" cringe (not much "trail riding" other than winter roads that arent plowed)
I know that if I keep it I'll never need one... but to part with it.... we all know how that one winds up.

I had to "re frame" my 97 and this box was attached to the 99 frame that I used under my 97 body. I put the orig 97 box onto the "new" frame. Story has it that frame sat in a garage since ~'01. it was parted out "way" back then, so I would not think that it has many miles on it.

As for interchanging steering gear boxes between a TJ, YJ and XJ, i dont know. I didn't do a cross reference on the part numbers to see if they are similar.

Was it the Durango box the one that fit? Dont remember for sure, but there was another box that was an upgrade and fit perfectly...

I am getting 97-02 and 03-06 as two different part numbers.

LMAO, that happened to me too. However, there were 2 part number changes before it finnaly gave me the ruling on the part. Maybe that's got something to do with it. IDK.

Was it the Durango box the one that fit? Dont remember for sure, but there was another box that was an upgrade and fit perfectly...

I think it is. I learned that from Bounty_Hunter.

'99 Durango 4wd is the upgrade steering box for jeeps up to '02, the funky steering box started in '03 I believe.

The TJ,YJ,XJ,MJ steering boxes are compatible for the most part, but the YJ box has a 4th mounting hole the others are missing.

Another note on this subject is the 2wd Astro van also fits a TJ for a front axle stretch. It puts the pitman arm facing forward. I have one on mine, totally a bolt on swap.

Last edited:

Another note on this subject is the 2wd Astro van also fits a TJ for a front axle stretch. It puts the pitman arm facing forward. I have one on mine, totally a bolt on swap.

Just too add for those interested...

Needs to be I believe a 87-95 box. they are the four bolt ones and are bolt in for YJ's. The later years are 3 bolt and will bolt into a TJ and other applications that share the box. you need to have atleast 5" of stretch or you will need to run a behind the axle drag link.

The Hydro Taps are the same as a regular Saganaw box

Yes, there is what appears to be a Mercedes symbol on my steering box (05 TJ) and is IS "funky". It does appear to be well built, though... There is a top cover (around the input shaft) which is bolted on with a circle of little bolts instead of the big lock nut. Also the end of the box does not have the pressed steel "welch plug" cover - the box is all one piece cast iron. - John

Thanks for the info Johnny I didn't know about the years that fit a YJ. I only knew my box was a 2000 2wd van and it bolts right onto my TJ, using the TJ steering shaft and and TJ hoses.

so... BTT,,, does anyone need one? I have it listed on CL for $60, because I had to list "some" price; I looked on a junkyard search site, and saw them starting at $135 used (which is nutz for a used box) and going down from there; $60 was towards the "cheap end".
I re framed my 97 TJ due to rot out of the driver side frame rail, and this box was attached to the replacement frame; I stayed with my original, '97 box since I knew that one was still fine. ... supposedly the frame I got was sitting in the garage since ~01-02 so within 2-3 years' of use I would not think it has many miles on it.... going by condition compared to my orig frame I would not doubt it had been out of the weather that long.

Story was, the guy bought the frame back in this time frame (01-02) to swap an older body onto, and "lost interest"; then when he moved out of Mom+Dad's house they told him to clean his parts stash outta the garage. I wish I still had his number; he had a couple other Jeep things there, that I have run into needs for, since I was there.
Not saying he would still have any of it now..... that was 8 months ago. (though I try to avoid driving any where near O'Hare airport when possible..... 'nother story) he lived like 2 towns away from that mess.

Back