TJ vs YJ

flip124

Hey all ive been following this board for a while now and i have to ask some opinions.

Im looking at purchasing a Wrangler but im unable to decide between a TJ or a YJ. The TJs in my price range are all 4cyl models. They are also really abundant. The YJs are a little more hard to come by but are available with the I6. I have a friend with a 4cyl TJ and it seems to hold up pretty well. What are your opinions between these two?

Thanks,
TJ

Hey there,

Both are great options. It all really depends on what you really want to do with it. Daily driver, off-roader, etc., etc.

Good luck!

-Rob

if you intend to do alot of "off-roading" then a 6 cylinider is the best choice here, more torque.
But if your going to do alot more city driving...TJ all the way.
The coil type suspention is alot smoother and responsive in city driving.
The 4 CLY will give you better gas milage and to be quite frank there not that bad off road either, my partner did very well in a 4 cyl and a 5 speed at Moab

Im mostly a city driver and dont want to go to extreme. Im thinking it will push 33" tires at max and im assuming this is alright with the 4cyl. Would regearing be necessary? Also were there any SEs that came from the factory with a hard top?

diamond plate???

the 4 cylinder usually doesn't do much or any better than the 6 cylinder with fuel economy... if you follow the shift light, sure it will be better, but i am not sure i know of anyone that follows the shift light.... and if you intend on upsizing tires, you WILL want the 6 cyl... the 2.5 just will not turn those tires like they should.. and your gas will suffer... you CAN regear, and if you are going with 33's, you will want to regear with the 2.5 unless you don't mind 5th gear only being a long past dream

Would an auto transmission help/hurt in the 4cyl situation?

Jeepster05 said:
I'm really suprised this post didn't bring up the old YJ vs. TJ argument. Good cuz I'm really getting sick of it.
A most civilized discussion about that...lol

Flip the automatic transmission is very good hooked through the 6 cly and for rock crawling only...in all other I would go with a 5 speed.
My partner has the 2.5l with a 5 speed in a 97 TJ. He has 33's and regeared for them. He did very well at Moab...but had trouble doing the Moab hop over some of the biggest obstacles since he had to work the clutch, brake and a thumb throttle. Where I had little to no problems there.
I would recomend you take a test drive in each to see how each handles to you and your driving style.

I say go with the TJ. Good city driving and better articulation in the offroading area. Wouldn't try to put 33s on a 2.5L though. The good thing about 4 cyl. TJs is that they already come with lower gearing. Most have 4.10 gears. My 6 cyl. has 3.07 gears. Bottom line is, you'll be fine on the trail, but you just won't get above 65 on the street. I'm not opposed to the YJ however because a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. It all comes down to personal preference.

Steering and carb problem on my 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

In my opinion, you may as well go with the I6 . Also, if you can afford that in a TJ, more power to ya. The newer the Jeep, the less it has probably been used. I am personally sticking with my 95 YJ.

Back