To upgrade or not to upgrade

dracowing14

I recently came to this forum to seek help with my yj rebuild and it occurred to me would it be cheaper for me to try and replace all the oem parts to get the vehicle safetied and emission tested or would it be cheaper for me to start looking into some upgrade stuff already keep in mind when i say upgrade i need everything replaced on this thing seeing as only the horn and wipers work properly, maybe the brakes but besides that everything need sot be replaced.

Not everything is upgradeable, but I would consider what you want to do with the jeep when it's in better condition and build it to suit. I would guess this would mean a new suspension and possibly heavier axles.

But since you have to have emissions tests, prolly best to keep the stock engine.

Tell us more about your YJ, like engine, transmission, etc.

Tell us more about your YJ, like engine, transmission, etc.

......and where you are. Some States are more lenient on their emissions laws. Some States won't let you do ANYTHING to the emissions system, others will allow you to put in a motor if it is the same year or newer than your vehicle. You might get lucky and live in a "run what ya' brung" State where pretty much anything goes.

I'm in Ontario Canada. My jeep is a stock 1989 YJ to my knowledge with 10 previous owners i intend to be the last. The vehicle itself is in pretty rough shape wires all over the place it runs i had to highway drive it to get it home, there is a power steering leak and an oil burning smell and a crap load of electrical problems it has skyjacker bumperettes on the back and I'm guessing a skyjacker suspension system that has seen the end of its days the body is in pretty rough condition the frame has been mended once or twice and still needs some work. all in all right now it's a complete rebuild

Well lets see, we've got lots in common - so I'll tell you what we've done, that is only what we've done right so far - I'll leave out the mistakes.
We have a 1989 YJ, ours was a one previous owner vehicle so we're luckyier than you on that point. It was a 4.2 with a 5 speed.
My son said to me why aren't you using the Jeep Dad & I replied it needs tires. He said I'll buy you tires Pop & I thought what a good son! A few days later a truck pulls up & unloads five of these Monster truck wheels w/ 33x12.5 Thornbirds. I said to my son "These will never go on that little Jeep" & he said Oh, the lift kit will be here in a day or two! Next day here it comes all new springs, shocks, pitman arm, tie rod ends, wobble stopper - you name it he bought it. A complete 4" lift kit & all the front end stuff! Good thing I'm retired, it took me quite a while to swap all these parts.
A rear axle bearing went bad & we changed it at my buddies garage. We had trouble pressing the new one on - used some heat etc & it went on....... my son was driving along when the rear wheel passed him by going down the road! The axle pulled right out of the housing etc. when that bearing failed & came apart...... lucky nobody got hurt but now the housing was all butchered up where the axle came out. I bought another rear on eBay, I think it was $300 out of a '94 or '95 YJ that was the same ratio. Pretty much the same but this one does have bigger brake shoes. The motor was running like crap, no power trying to turn these big wheels.... the stock carb is a joke so I changed that over to a small Holley (Motorcraft). Starts better & idles but still stinks. Than I hear about this guy who lives down by my oldest son who has a 2004 Wrangler engine, trans, transfer case with less than 15,000 miles on it sitting in his garage for about 3 years! Blood all over it from the accident but its in perfect shape. It came with the complete wiring harness and all the components: starter, alternator, A/C, pullies - belts etc............. The trans is automatic.
I could never have done this swap on my own - all this HiTech stuff now! The motor doesn't even have a distributor anymore! Thank God for my mechanic - my buddy Mike!
It took some time but we got it done.... Had to get a radiator mine was junk when we pulled it out. He had a friend that had a 2000 Wrangler which I bought as a parts car. The radiator from the 2000 was in great shape so we used it. The 89 fuel tank doesn't have a pump in it to supply the increased pressure required by the FI. I won't go thru all the girations that we've gone thru because the new motor specs require 50 pounds of fuel pressure just the end result thus far: I bought a 20 gallon fuel tank from a 94 YJ which has a pump in the tank & puts out like 35 lbs of pressure, we than mounted an external inline pump from a late 80's vintage Big Ford Truck which puts out like 100 lbs of pressure (too much) we than mounted an inline regulator/filter from a '98 Grand Cherokee hopeing that it would bring down the pressure as well as being a filter for the fuel - nah that didn't work! blew right by with a 100 lbs of pressure. Well I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on eBay for about $50 + shipping & that didn't work, sent it back & they sent me another one which won't adjust either. My youngest girls boyfriend is into all these Jap hot rods etc anyway he got me an adjustable regulator that goes for over $400 which has got to let me tweek this puppy to the spec 49.2 pounds +/- 2.0 (ie: 50 lbs) all I need now are the directions on how to hook this thing up, it has all kinds of threaded holes for fittings - what goes where etc.????
But it does run great! I just worry domething is going to blow running this 100 lbs of pressure. If this regulator craps out - I'm going to pull everything off, run just the stock pump in the tank & change the fuel rail to one that has a return line than it should run like any early '90's vintage 4.0
Bottomline: I think you would be better off getting rid of this '89 you have with all these problems take the $5,6,7,8,9,000 you will be putting into it & go buy a later model without all the problems and enjoy!
I've got a Red '97 that I'll sell ya & it comes with a 2000 Red parts vehicle!

thanks for the offer but it'd be hard to buy your jeep I'm in Toronto, as for selling the vehicle you are definitely right the problem is i could never make back even close to what i spent for the stupid thing I paid $2800 for it, now i just need to see how much i should sell it for the thing runs and it comes with 2 sets of doors full and half and hard and soft top any ideas on what it might be worth. mainly as a parts vehicle but if someone wants to try and fix it hey all the luck to ya.not to mention the more I read the more I'm finding the yj isn't a good model to handle the cold Canadian winters. how does the TJ hold up in winter also I know people prefer the manual cause there more fun but do you loose any off-roading capability if you go with an automatic as i can not drive standard yet.

Back