Torx trouble

Ragtopman

I just got some mirror relocation brackets for my 91 YJ. Went out and spun all four torx on the lower windshield hinges. What do I do now? Is the only way removing the dash? I don't have much of a choice the wife wants the mirrors.

did the same thing the way i got them out was take a dremel tool w/ a med. grade cutting bit and cut a slot in the torx and take the biggest flat tip screwdriver and hammer it into that slot and get your spinach in ya and turn it and hope it dont strip that... also heating it a little will help

drill em out...then get a set of easy out bits to spin the bolt out. when you own a jeep easy outs are an investment.

What did you spin? The head of the torx bolts or are the nuts under the dash spinning (like mine were)?

My reply to your PM was for the latter.

A tip for all who are getting ready to go up against the dreaded torx. Invest in a impact driver. One can be had thru your local sears store. This in combination with the proper torx bit will work wonders.

The impact hammer works grate but I have also found that if you dont remove all the paint from the head of the screw you might pick the wrong size driver.

if the nut inside is spun, then you're kinda out of luck... usually the only way to fix that is drill it out completely and hope you can get the nut out later... or get inside the dash if that will even allow you into there

As last resort you can try to get the bolt to turn with hammer and chisel.
I agree impact driver is the way to go.
Just had same problem with roll bar bolts.

I didn't strip the head its spinning from the back. After I posted this I pulled the dash out. And I mean out. I can get to the bolts. I am going to buy a smaller vise grip to grab them an hope I don't strip the head and still have to drill..

if you can't reach it from the back.. you may be able to drill the head off the torx, then push it inside

2000 xj front end vibration

If you peel all the caulk-like goo off the nuts up under the dash (since you've already taken the dash apart like I had to) then you should be able to get a socket on the nuts. Like I said in the PM, make sure you use something to seal it. I used clear silicone and it seemed to keep it dry.

Weld the mirror relocation brackets right on there and screw (pun intended) the torx. That's what I did. Tried and failed on 2 of the torx then had the brackets welded on.

Rossignol Rooster Wide Snowboard...

i had the same problem and your stomache kind of sinks when you feel them spinning.... I tried to get to the nuts inside but when facing the proposition of pulling the entire dash... inspiration struck and i grabbed the drill and taps - set it just above the torx heads, drilled and threaded the new holes and they went right on! - stupid design - those nuts should be welded on!!!!

Back