Towing Capacity???

Skinny76

Why is it that I can only tow 2000 lbs with my manual transmission, but if I had an automatic, I could tow 5,000??? Seems like it would be the other way around. If manual gear oil is 75W but Auto transmission fluid is like water, seems the manual could handle more stress.

I'm wanting to pull a travel trailer, but I'm going to be limited to a pop-up coleman tent .

'preciate it.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harlancampbell/album?.dir=/b5a7

Both jeeps should be rated the same, which is very little. Didn't know any SWB jeep had a 5K tow rating. I wouldn't pull it.

well to begin with the 4.0l will only handle about 4000lb max, and even at that it will have trouble on hills.. the auto allows slippage, increasing torque which is why it can tow more than the stick. but it shouldn't make that much difference. Personally i'd keep it less than 3000 due to the tow vehicle weight. Nice looking comanche BTW

if you are planning on towing that heavy a load make sure you have a class III hitch (or better) installed on the Jeep. You should be fine, just be aware yoiu may have to slow down going up hills because of the added weight. (may have no choice in that matter) and watch the braking...

Wheelbase on a comanche is what 119"?? So is a older dakota. They all had a max 5000 lbs towing in early 90s. Jeeps manual trans clutch wasn't strong enough until 1991. That's the main reason that I know of for the lower rating on a comanche manual trans. The brakes aren't that greatest in cherokee or comanche. But the Cherokee auto and manual are rated at 5000lbs. Cherokee has a shorter 103" wheelbase. I've towed 5k lbs with my cherokee 4.0L auto though. Go figure.

I'd feel fine pulling 3k with a cherokee or a comache 4.0L. If you gotta pull 5k lbs up and down a lot of grades, stock XJ, MJ brakes are not up to the challenge.

Back