Tranfer case lowering kit

kevin4x4

I put on a 2 budget boost and have some vibration with it in 3rd gear. from 25 to 35 mph... Will a tranfer case lowering kit help or take the vibration away. Also what is a good one to get and are they hard to instale.

Should help, you could install a motor lift instead. Tcase lowering kit isnt hard to install, just undo the bolts, secure the transmission/tcase, slip in the spacers and screw in the bolts. If you are going to get one, get a kit that is composed of the long bars, not the little pucks. But I must restate that you should look into a motor lift spacer or lift mount.

very easy to install... or even make yourself... get a piece of 1x2 steel tube... get some bolts 1" longer than stock... or any combo to make your desired thickness... and drill for the bolts in the tube, and use that to space the skidplate

A driveline vibration is very rare with only a 2" BB. Try loosening the transmission mount at the skidplate and drive the jeep around the block before retightening. The drivetrain may settle a little due to the driveline angle change and cure the vibration.

Agree with Bounty. If it were the driveshaft angle, the vibes would be present at more speeds than just 35. Do the trans mount thing described.

corey

Snitty said:
very easy to install... or even make yourself... get a piece of 1x2 steel tube... get some bolts 1" longer than stock... or any combo to make your desired thickness... and drill for the bolts in the tube, and use that to space the skidplate

If you do go this route, which is a cheap and effective method, try to find bolts that will mimic the tapered shank on the originals. if not, it will put to much stress perpendicularly on the shank of the bolt (where you don't want it) and will shear the bolt off If you can not find the correct bolt, you might be able to locate a properly tapered spacer that the bolt goes through which will sit in the corresponding part of the skid plate.

Why in the world would you put a lift on it, then want to lower the case and skid pan? Kind of defeats the purpose. Raise the motor or put a CV shaft in the rear.

That takes way more $$$ than the lowering kit. It's a temporary solution (lowering kit). He can always do those bigger projects in the future. I say for a fast fix go lowereing kit, save $$$.

redrooster said:
Why in the world would you put a lift on it, then want to lower the case and skid pan? Kind of defeats the purpose. Raise the motor or put a CV shaft in the rear.
It doesn't defeat the purpose when the amount of lift is greater than the amount of TC drop. Most understand that it's an affordable solution, while not the best.

Well, his sig line says it's got 5" of lift and then he says he added 2" more. I think that it may be time to address it beyond dropping the skid pan back down. You will have to do some ghetto rigging to get the driveshaft angle back like it is supposed to be.

yeah.. a TC drop is definitely not defeating the purpose of a lift... even if, for some reason, it did drop the plate as much as the lift... all you are losing is center clearence... you still have many other benefits from a lift

called a cople places today about the skyjacker kit no one has it to after the fouth will this hurt any thing. Wlie keep driving it.

Dam never put 2 and 2 together until reading all this again.. How does it work I thouht it would on be 1in..... Ive heard u can do a moter mount kit and it does the same thing.. just want the vib gone what is the best fix..

My old YJ had 4" of lift, and another 2" or so from the tires (32's from stock 28's). Dropping the transfer case an inch or so didn't lose much clearance compared to what I gained. I'm not going to argue that a SYE/CV driveshaft isn't a better choice, but $20 vs $600.... hey it worked!

Hi,

Is the budget boost for the suspension or body? If you have 5" of combined suspension lift, you'd probably be best off installing a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and CV driveshaft for the rear.

-Nick :!:

i agree.. if you are above 4"... the SYE is the way to go

Back