Trans & Rear oil help

PhattyX

I thought this would be a quick easy search, but I'm coming up empty handed.

1. Does the trans take transmission fluid or gear oil? I've got a T-5 transmission and D300 Xfer case. Any advice on brand or type?

2. Also, is there a certain type of gear oil I should use for replacement in my AMC20 and Dana30 rears?

Thanks much,

X

The trans takes standard 90 weight gear oil. Don't use anything else- you have rather delicate brass synchros.

The rear end will either take 90 weight or limited slip 90 weight (depending on whether or not you have a factory Trac-Loc carrier). Everything should be available at your local Ghettozone. Standard gear oil will also work fine for the front.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other issues.

ArkansasJeeper said:
The trans takes standard 90 weight gear oil. Don't use anything else- you have rather delicate brass synchros.

The rear end will either take 90 weight or limited slip 90 weight (depending on whether or not you have a factory Trac-Loc carrier). Everything should be available at your local Ghettozone. Standard gear oil will also work fine for the front.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other issues.
Most 80W90 gear oils contain some sulphur phosphorus that acts as a EP (extreme pressure additive, sulphur can chew up some types of brass. That is why the older tractors with brass gears used a mineral oil 90. I would think that if the gears were brass the call would be for ATF. Plenty of manual transmissions and transfer cases do call for it for different reasons.

Just my 2 cents....

Shoot, good call, sorry. Somehow I missed that one. Hrm... The manual said 80W/90 for my T150. Wonder if I ought to drain it and put in some synthetic?

Back