trans works, then nothing, as if in neutral

deuceandahalf

Drove 15 miles with no problems, as I approached a red light noticed the trans felt like it was in neutral. Revved up, no trans, pushed to side of road. Shut off, found 2 vacuum lines to canister under bumper were cut during other work, so I repaired them, reconnected to canister. Started it up, it then engaged. Drove 100 feet, about 20 seconds, then it slipped back out of gear. Shut off, nothing found, restarted and drove in gear for another 20 seconds, then neutral again. So now when first started I can move it a few feet then it slips back to no gears, the shifter is still in D, but nothing.

Any ideas where to start?

is it an automatic
if the fluid is to high it will slip and not work write till you shut it off and let the fliud flow down

ya i think it will slip if it is low or it might need i filter change

When it died, we checked the trans fluid level, down a quart. Had none so towed it home. Added trans fluid, problem seems to be gone. Wow, only one quart killed it, but now back to normal. Thanks for the simple suggestion.

should make it routine when ever you fill up to check all fluid levels oil ,trans,power steering,brakes,radiator to prevent premature break downs also should check air in tires for proper inflation also

Back