transfer case 1999 wj

Laph

Ok, here is one for you. There is a THunk When I shift from into Reverse from park or drive and from Reverse to Drive, I can see it's a delayed reaction and puts torque on the drive shafts and it doesn't matter if it is in 2wd or 4wd. I want to just tear into it and fix it but can't find a schmatic so I can get an idea what it may be before and the fact that I don't have alot of cash to throw at it now that I have a bumper and Rocker guards on their way. I'm hoping somone has had this problem before and can tell me what it is so I can plan a budget better. It isn't something that HAS to be fixed right away in my opinion, but I also don't want to continue to have it go on.
Thanks in advance,
Laph

Ok, found a Cut away, seems like it is chain drive so that makes perfect sense why it is acting that way, here is the photo. Anyone replaced that chain/done a rebuild on this transfer case before, just wandering what is required after u crack it open that should be replaced?

oh, if no one has found this site before that has a WJ, here is a link to a TON of wj info. http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm but it is only info about the wj, but it is nice to have.

Thanks again,
Laph

I realize I'm a little late on this, but I've dug into a bunch of 242s. If you still need help, PM me

Snitty said:
I realize I'm a little late on this, but I've dug into a bunch of 242s. If you still need help, PM me
not really, your not to late, i'm to lazy well that and It's in the shop getting body work done, can turn a wrench but not to great with that sheet metal stuff. anyways I'm guessing I will need to just change the chain but do you recommend anything else?

Nah.. the chain is pretty easy to change once you get it onto a bench to work with it. I think you're going to need a 15mm 6pt, a 13mm 6 pt and a 10mm 12pt socket. Do yourself a favor and get a socket adapter for a drill. Once you have the bolts loosened, it makes the job go a lot faster. there's a lot of them on there. You'll also need some GOOD strong snapring pliers. The wider they open, the better. That is the biggest pain of the job, and its really not that bad.

sounds good guess will get the chain on its way in next 2 weeks gota get some cash in. Thanks for the input. Will let you know how it turns out.

Back