transfer case lube

Crewdude007

Well, the time has come again to change the fluid in my transfer case. Mopar suggests using ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid, but a friend of mine uses Castrol Syntec 5W-50 engine oil because he says the greater viscosity provides better lubrication. Are there pros/cons to this approach? What do you guys use?

Bounty__Hunter said:
Use the ATF, I wouldn't take any more advice from that friend ;)

Ditto. follow the guidelines in your manual for lubricants... what year is your jeep?

It's an '01 XJ Sport. I'm putting a 2" lift on this weekend and will probably change the transfer case and front and rear diff. lube at that time.

do yourself a favor and pick up new differential cover gaskets and replace them while you're at it. they are 5 bucks each...

Will do. Thanks for the advice. By the way, does anybody know where I can get a deeper 42RE transmission pan with a drain plug? Does such a thing exist?

Transmission fluid is the only thing that should go in a t-case

Here's the next question: About how much fluid does a NV231 transfer case hold? I can't seem to find that answer anywhere. Also, (maybe a stupid question) do they make synthetic transmission fluid? Does it help?

i think they hold about 2 quarts. if you buy too many just return them. you know its full enough when fluid spills out the fill hole.

yes they make synthetic, its ATF+4, which is about 9 bucks a quart (total waste of money and i'm not even sure its compatible with your transfer case. stick with the recommended fluid.)

dingus said:
yes they make synthetic, its ATF+4, which is about 9 bucks a quart (total waste of money and i'm not even sure its compatible with your transfer case. stick with the recommended fluid.)

Unfortunately, ATF+4 is exactly what Chrysler recommends.

I feed mine dexron/mercon III, same as the trans, it's run flawlessly... I got in the habit of buying mine in the gallon jugs when my Reliant had an insane power steering leak, and needed that fluid refilled very very very often, ended up getting a pump for it so I can fill the transfer case till it's full... It's hard to get to that filler to pour something in it, the first time, I got creative with a funnel working pretty much upside down, it wasn't fun... The little hand-pump, looks like one for soap, made it much easier, for the diffs too...

i've found using clear 1/4" ID tubing to be pretty helpful. i used it to fill my transmission and transfer case... just snake the tube down from the engine bay and into whatever you're filling... cut the bottom off of one of those bottles with the pointy nozzles (like what my synchromesh came in) and use it upside down like a funnel.

I suggest buying a fluid transfer pump... kinda looks like a manual air pump or a grease gun. They are great for all sorts of things, only like 10 bucks

Back