Transfer Case Output Seal

Jeepz4Mee

I recently bought an output seal for my TC, and I have my TC already out to replace it (had to do a rear main seal). The seal that the auto parts store sold me doesnt look close to the seal that is on it now. Well thinking that there maybe some reason they look different other than the reason being that it was a wrong seal. So I tried to pull out the existing TC output seal, and it seems that there is a big difference between the two. One is a lot bigger in relation to width. My question is, did the auto parts store sell me the wrong seal or is it just how the new ones look, and if it is the right seal, how do I get the old one out because it is in there pretty good and seems like it is a rubber coated metal seal.

95 Wrangler YJ 2" BDS suspension, Four Banger:?|http://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/smilies/confused24.gif
:?|

OK so I finally got that sucker off the extension housing. It seems that the seal is metal with a thin coat of rubber. Well I got it off and now I think I need to just go get another, however, advance auto parts does not carry one, so tomorrow I venture to the toy box (toybox.com) a place that only works on jeeps to pick up one. One quick question what is the technical name of the seal on the extension housing. Thanks.

Last edited:
transfer case rear output seal.

There should be a small number etched in the metal of the old seal, this can be used to cross-reference and find a new seal.

Most auto parts stores I've been to have the wrong TC output seals listed. Always best to take in the old seal.

Back