Transfer case swap

pitbull78133

Does anyone have any experience in swapping T-cases? I have a 93 zj with a NP249j and want to swap it with a NP242j I have from a 96 zj! I didn't think it would be a big deal but apparently I have to swap sun gears! Again no biggie but I've heard that they changed the way the gears were cut in 94 and if u do swap I will get mucho gear whine if u put the older sun gear in the newer case! Just looking for knowledge! Thx!

I know Jeep transfer cases pretty well, and build many cases for swapping in place of the 249. Do a web search for 'jeep 249/242 swap' and you'll get a lot of info.

If you want to avoid swapping input gears between the 249 and 242, look for a 242 from behind the same transmission as what's in you ZJ. Otherwise you'll have to swap input gears.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I thought about that, it's just I already have the newer 242 cause it's in my donor vehicle! If I need to look for a new case what's ur opinion? Do u think I should just find a 231?? I want the 2wd option and I need to get a slip yoke eliminator because I'm currently at 5.5" of lift!

The trans in my 93 is the aisin and the trans in my 96 is the Chrysler 42re I believe! Trans is perfect its just the 96 got flipped onto the roof so now it's a donor for my 93! The 96 trans is electric and swapping it really isn't an option

The 242 is a good transfer case but it's not as east as the 231 to swap out the input shaft to match your current transmission.

The 231 is rated to handle more torque than the 242. Which engine is in the '93?

Back