Transmission? Clutch? HELP!!

Thanks for the info guys, It helps though I still am not sure what bolt I have. 9.8 is on the head of the bolt, is this a metric or an SAE? once I figure this out I can get the correct torque (I think). like I said before the 1/2 socket fits the bolt perfectly and the 13 metric is a little loose. common sense says the bolt is a 1/2 but with the 9.8 marking I am not 100% sure, and I want to be 100% sure instead of $300 in the hole for a new flywheel to replace the one with the broken-off bolt in it. Some of the charts that I have seen give torque settings any where from 50 to 90 Ft-lbs.

Thanks
Nick

If the 1/2 inch fits, so should the 33mm metric, but if I were you, I would use the one that has the tightest fit (the one with no play).

Regarding torquing the cluth, have you tried the Jeep service manuals? You can find them here: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=414.0

The '93 is not available, but the 94 is, and chapter 6 is all about the clutch.

According to the manual, the torque specs are:
Clutch cover bolts:
4-Cyl: 23 ft/lbs
6-Cyl: 40 ft/lbs
Concentric bearing fluid fitting: 132 Inch/lbs
Clutch cylinder mounting bolts: 19 ft/lbs
Clutch cylinder hydraulic line fitting:
4-Cyl: 132 inch/lbs
6-Cyl: 190 inch/lbs
Clutch housing to engine bolts
M12X1.75: 55 ft/lbs
3/8-16: 27 ft/lbs
7/16-14: 43 ft/lbs
Clutch housing cover (4 cyl):
Upper bolt: 16 ft/lbs
Lower bolt: 55 ft/lbs
Clutch housing to transmission bolt:
AX15: 28 ft/lbs
AX5: 28 ft/lbs
Starter motor dowel bolt: 33 ft/lbs
U-Joint clamp bolts: 170 inch/lbs
Rear support to crossmember bolt: 33 ft/lbs
Crossmember to frame rail bolt: 30 ft/lbs
Recommended flywheel bolt torque:
4 Cyl: 50 ft/lbs plus an additional turn of 60*
6 cyl: 105 ft/lbs (remember to use new bolts!)

Hope that helps!

Thanks that does help a bunch, however I think I tightened them a little more than 23 FTlbs..oops oh well I guess if it snaps off I can take it to someone who knows what they are doing...lol

Nick

Download the manual and double check the numbers, cause I was very tired when I typed them... I had not slept for 2 days, so it is possible I made a mistake!

4BangerJP.com > Technical Forums > The Facts and nothing but the FAQ > Topic: *** Factory Service Manuals (FSM) ***

(I put the link to the post that contains the link in my previous post)

Back