transmission issues!

sweetpeet

I have a 1974 jeep CJ5 v8. overall the jeep runs fine it backfires in between shifting and the biggest problem is that I cant get in to 3rd gear with out it jumping all over the place. does anyone know what is going on??

What do you mean by jumping? Jumps out of gear, hard to find the spot, jeep hops skips and jumps?

I think the hopping you are reffering to is a shudder or vibration, caused by a warped flywheel. but then again, it only does it on third gear?

I think the hopping you are reffering to is a shudder or vibration, caused by a warped flywheel. but then again, it only does it on third gear?

Or you might suspect the clutch disk being warped. Only 3rd gear? Are you giving it enough gas when you release the clutch in 3rd gear? How long have you driven a clutch?

Additional Thought: Based on the giving it enough gas avenue, are your motor and transmission mounts (including the torque stud) up to snuff? If you have slop there it could cause the motor/t-case/x-case to slap back and forth from side to side.

Or you might suspect the clutch disk being warped. Only 3rd gear? Are you giving it enough gas when you release the clutch in 3rd gear? How long have you driven a clutch?

Additional Thought: Based on the giving it enough gas avenue, are your motor and transmission mounts (including the torque stud) up to snuff? If you have slop there it could cause the motor/t-case/x-case to slap back and forth from side to side.
no i haven't driven clutch long but buddies of mine have and its happening to them too. so in addition to the hopping-like symptom its also making a sound that sounds like its shooting things within it.

o, and all the mounts are in decent condition.

im thinking its the carb, what do you think?

Similar conditions given to a brake rotor, when hot and subjected to water, it will warp. Overheating the flywheel by riding the clutch will also do it..

Did you fix the problem yet? I had a faulty (mechanical) fuel pump react this way once. Ran fine at lower speeds, then felt like a bucking bronco when I reached 3rd gear.

Leaf spring wrap can cause this as well, under hard acceleration.

But I doubt you'd only notice it in third gear, more likely felt in first.

Did you fix the problem yet? I had a faulty (mechanical) fuel pump react this way once. Ran fine at lower speeds, then felt like a bucking bronco when I reached 3rd gear.

Ya, I fixed the problem. It was unrelated to the transmission. it was also backfiring so i checked to what the firing order was set to and long and behold it was wrong. so I fixed the order and It now runs great.

Back