Transmission question...

JeepsterCJ5

ok... got the axles under control now.. building the engine.. now I gotta figure out the transmisson...
I drive my CJ5 everyday I can't be in the bike. it's 75 miles round trip to work and back home.
would it be wirth my while to try to install one of the new 6 speeds out of a newer wrangler?
or use the ax15?
and do they make adapter plates to mount them to a 304?

Let's see. What do you have for axle gears and tire size?
This could be a lot more simple.

Oh, well you can get a nice T-18 four speed. That way, it should bolt right up, and you'll be able to use your fourth gear as a pseudo overdrive. You'd be running about 2350 rpm at 65. That's pretty good. With the T-18, you'd get a nice 6.38? first so offroading would be just fine.

Hold on not so fast. In order tojust bolt up a Jeep T18 (76-79)
There is one Jeep T-18 that does not have the low gears so be carefull.
and you have to mate it to a Dana 20. Or you can get a Ford T18
and go with AA and bolt it to Dana 300.

will it matter if the T18 comes out of a Ford?
will it bolt right up?
and will I have to change the driveshafts?

Try Advance adapters they have one you use a Ford T18 and a Dana 300
That's the better combo.

Or like I said before look for a 76-79 T18 out of a CJ or try to find
a big Jeep truck they had them too.This will botl up to a Dana 20.
Want to blow your mind look for a Scout Dana 300 same blot pattern as the Dana 20 . Hard to find.

I didn't see what year your CJ5 is so I am at a little bit of a disadvantage. If you have a 76-79 CJ then the stock bell housing is all you need for either the Ford or the CJ T18 as it has both bolt patterns drilled. Ty this, it will give you a bunch of important info on finding the right CJ or Ford T18:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

The main issue is the total length, and the 11.87" length (plus an inch for the adaptor at the back of the transmission; the adaptor is actually part of the CJ version) of the T18 coupled to a Dana 20 x-case or a 1980 Scout Dana 300 with the Texas bolt pattern is about all you get without making your rear drive line too short. The T18 drives like the truck transmission it is; I have one and wouldn’t trade it but I don't expect a CJ to drive like a sports car.

Last edited:
Back