transmission swap?

alex916x

Ok here is my delema, My friend has a 2006 jeep wrangler 4.0 6 spd. He is going to trade it in for a new vehicle (I think he's crazy) So to my question I have a 2001 4.0 5 spd. First can the transmissions be exchanged from one vehicle to the other. Second is it worth the trouble. I think mine trans is a AX-15. Please give me some input on this matter. Thanks

No one on this forum ever helps with transmission swaps, I've asked a few questions bout this and silence as if I'm Helen Keller. Research on a diff forum. Sorry

No one on this forum ever helps with transmission swaps, I've asked a few questions bout this and silence as if I'm Helen Keller. Research on a diff forum. Sorry
:agree::agree:I have a 97 TJ with a 4.0/AX15, that I just pulled out to rebuild the AX 15.... I asked,looked around and nothing. I was hoping to find a rebuildable core so that I didnt have to be in a hurry to rebuild this one once it hit the ground; I can't afford to have my 97 down for very long. i got the trans out a couple hrs ago, and tomorrow nite/Tues nite I hope is enough time to rebuild it/change all the synchros... I'm on "Spring break" this week, its my driver back n forth to school 40 mi away.
so I "thought" I'd find another core, rebuild THAT and then just switcheroo..... but I found exactly ONE; no "good/used" transmissions to be found. parts stores want $1600 for a reman (about 3X too high)
the one I found with the"dead synchro" issue I have been fighting, the idiot wanted $350 for it. NO WAY! I bought the kit with synchros for $200. Less than what even a "junk" transmission costs. I was looking for a core as a matter of convenience; but that convenience sure aint worth $350;

Back