Tube Fenders.

CJDan

I was thinking of converting my fenders i have now into tube fenders. i just want to know how the steel of the fender holds up, it feels sturdy but when you look at a cut fender people make on there own also, the fender ends up looking flimsy, but im just wondering how it will hold up with the cut, i just dont want it to be able to bend easily meaning that when i put the tubing on the outside it wont bend a little bit. If this helps at all my jeep is a cj7. I feel it will defiantly be strong enough but i want to be sure and here what people have to say with there fenders.

I'm a noob to this forum, but I can say, tube fenders are typically far stronger than the factory stamped steel versions. First off, the existing fenders usually get cut back to match a "template" that the mfgr gives you, then those old sheet metal peices get bolted (sometimes over bolted) to the new tube fender setups... The tube setup is by far stronger than the old sheet metal, but the downside to the tube fenders, they are only going to be as strong as the sheet metal they bolt to. I have a set, and had the fabricator build a set of crossover struts to strengthen the fenders between the points at the firewall, and again over the engine, added a few small triangulated struts, and you can easily lift the whole Jeep by any point on the fender..

Lots of Tube fender kits actually re-use the factory inner fenders and have you cut them away.

I went with TNT (Treks) for my first set of tubes because they did not re-use anything. I sold the factory fenders to a friend for $300 to offset the cost of the tubes.

Not sure how stron the cut away versions are, but I laid my Jeep on it's side on the TNT's and all I suffered was a little paint and some gouges in the steel (I drove it back onto the tires so it drug a bit)

Putting hiline fenders on now, and again went with a total replacement kit (because now I don't have stockers to cut).

In any case, I did full replacement both times and would strongly suggest that option.

Back