um some questions over here

YJnamedTJ

Ive been noticeing a lil bit of a steering problem for a while now....my jeep pulls to the right and i was wondering about tire rotation...like cant i just take the tires from the back and move them to the front? or is there a specific way to do it?

Your supposed to switch corners... the front drivers side would switch with the rear pass. side and so on... I believe that is how it's done. It differs if you have a spare to throw into the mix.

88WRANGRED said:
any info on throwing the spare into the mix, i bought 5 new ones this summer and it almost time to rotate!!!

I found this:

"Never include a "Temporary Use only" spare tire in any of the previous rotation patterns. If the vehicle's owner has a spare that is a regular size tire and wants to include it in the rotation pattern; follow this procedure: Insert the spare in the right rear position and place the tire that would have been rotated to the right rear position as a new spare."

8)

If you run directional tires like a Bogger, Pro Comp or Yokohama mud tire then you can only swap front to rear. Improper tire pressure can cause the vehicle to pull to one side as well as poor alignment and worn rod ends, etc...

Moderator for Pictures

how to rotate 4 radial tires
LF=left front
LR=left rear
RF-right front
RR=right rear

LF to LR and RF to RR
only front to back/back to front never to the other side

with 5 tires
LF to LR
RF to spare location
spare to RR
RR to RF

how to rotate bias/belted tires:
4 tires:
LF to LR
LR to RF
RF to RR
RR to LF

5 tires:
spare to LF
LF to LR
LR to RF
RF to RR
RR to spare

took info from chilton manual for 71-90 swb jeeps

firemanharry said:
I believe this is the way it works. Fronts switch sides and move back........rears come straight forward. 8)
This is how I've always done it with radial tires, never a problem or uneven wear.

Rotating in a full-size spare is the way to go, makes the tires last longer.

If you have a welded rear or even a locker you should rotate more often.
I rotate my tires every time I get new ones. Rotate them off my truck and on somebody else's.

I rotate my tires every time I get new ones. Rotate them off my truck and on somebody else's.

thats about how i do it... i've never had new tires... i always get seconds... but when i finally can afford new ones.. i'll start rotating

i mean its like a slight pull but its constant and its starting to get annoyed ... how do you do a front end aligment? or does that have to be done in a shop? ok well thanx guys... hey one more q? whats a good tire pressure to be running with 31x10.5r15 bfg allterain tires?

i got it i think!

spare to RR
RF to spare
RR to RF
LF to LR
LR to LF

What about the driver's side, does the "spare" ever get on the other side?

Pulling to the left

Every owners manual I have looked has said front to back on the same side. As far as Tire pressure you will have to figure that one out but I did get some good info out of 4-Wheeler's Bible by Jim Allen. For 3000 lb gvw (I am not sure what the gvw is) on a 31" start at 9 psI and add 3psI for every 10mph over 20mph you will go. This applies to airing down but I just ran it up to around 80 mph to be save to get an Idea of were to go. I am running 26psi with 32's and I think it is still a little high. I still do not get a good pattern on the ground.

You can also put chock oh the tire and run it up the street then look to see if the chalk is rubbed off even. I just drove into the garage after driving through water and looked at the pattern then droped to 26psI It looked pretty close.

Bulletproof Bumpers

thats for the chart and the info um what am i looking for when i run it fully inflated...i know when you air down you look for a flat foot type track.....but what about the "full" tire

thats about how i do it... i've never had new tires... i always get seconds... but when i finally can afford new ones.. i'll start rotating
In this complex world we live in, I have found it more economical to sell a set of mud tires when they are at 3/4 to 1/2 tread. At least then you can recooperate some of the cost of getting new ones. There is always someone out there looking to step up a size and I strive to keep as much tread depth as possible. Bald mud tires suck. Does this make sense to anyone?

Makes sense to me. I would be the one buying those tires to save some cash. I couldn't find anything good so I had to go new.

Back