Unidentified part

keith

I was tearing apart my dash , and on the passenger side under the dash, there is a box with a wiring harness, which I had to disconnect for a bit. When I drove the vehicle, it seemed like the power was lacking, and it took more RPMS to start moving. As soon as I reconnected the device, it drove normal. Is this a part of the transmission, or something to do with the engine. It is a gray box, about as big as a CB radio. I have a 1988 Wagoneer. Any ideas, folks?

Is it the XJ Wagoneer similar to a downsized Cherokee? Then it could be the TCU (transmission control unit). If you have the SJ Wagoneer (full-size Jeep) I'm not sure what it is.

Is it the XJ Wagoneer similar to a downsized Cherokee? Then it could be the TCU (transmission control unit). If you have the SJ Wagoneer (full-size Jeep) I'm not sure what it is.
yes, its the regular wagoneer, not the grand. Thanks. I was just wondering. Hell these jeeps got a lot of crazy stuff.

The Cherokee and Comanche area about the only ones that use that TCU to control the transmission. Isn't Wagoneer your trim level and the model is actually a Cherokee?

Not sure about under the dash but I know on an 88 XJ on the passenger side under the dash behind the plastic kick panel is the ECM, bout as big as a CB radio with a wiring harness running into it. However, I wouldn't expect the engine to start at all if you disconnected it.

The Cherokee and Comanche area about the only ones that use that TCU to control the transmission. Isn't Wagoneer your trim level and the model is actually a Cherokee?

Well, it has the double headlights. Just a plain old wagoneer, which I love dearly. lol. It only has around 170K on it. Just getting broken in, lol.

Bounty hunter is correct. Passenger side shiny box size of small CB attached to lower dash cover... That is a TCM (Transmission control module).

Unplug and drive in reg "D" it will be hella slugish cause Jeep is only driving in 3-4th gear. Unplugged you'll still be able to drive it like a manual automatic; from 1-2-3-4/D.

The PCM/ECM on 87-90XJ is located under driver side dash next to lower AC vent / HVAC.

1987-1993 XJ/MJ was Cherokee, Wagoneer - downsized, Comanche. FSJ - SJ used chrysler 727 auto trans.

Back