V8 swap

rallscj

Hey everyone, i am new to the forum, but i did have a question.
i have a 69 cj5 with the dauntless v6, i want to swap it with a 350, so my question is what do i have to change out? (trans, drivelines transfer case ect.) i just started thinking about doing this so the more info i can get the better prepared i will be, i dont want it torn apart for ever so any tips/tricks would be great, thanks.

I stuffed a 350 Chevy into a 47 CJ2A once. First thing that happened was I blew out the T90 transmission, then the rear end, then the front end. The only thing that held up on that Jeep was the Spicer 18 x-case. Granted I was in my 20s and I drove it like I stole it. I would look at all of your drive train and make an assessment.

well thinking about buying a older 4x4 chev and using all the drivetrain but where does that leave the motor mounts and transmission mounts crap like that?
also if i do that cant i use the axels maybe wide'n the stance a bit and get some disc's n the front because as it is right now (all drum) takes a country mile to stop

I'm sure your Buick 225 V6 is tried so swap in a later model 231 V6.
and call it day.

Since your CJ has the "short nose", it's gonna be a tight fit for a V8. I did a SBC swap into a 71 (also had the shorter nose) and ended up running the short water pump and accessory drives. I also ended up cutting into the grill and shoving my aluminum radiator up against the headlight buckets. Even with a "thin" electric fan, I only had about 1" of clearance between the water pump snout and the fan. I also had the HEI distributor "touching" the firewall ever so slightly.

Best bet would be to take a good look thru Advance Adapters' and Novak's websites and maybe give them both a call.

Header/steering linkage clearance is gonna be tight too.

I always thought a Turbo 6 out of an 87 T-type Regal would be fun. Might take a little playing with the computer and keeping water out of the turbo but you'd wake up the young punks in their tuners!

Back