Wanting to get into Jeeps...again

D.Furious

I hate to make this question my first post but...
I'm looking into getting a Jeep within about the next year (I had a CJ5 years ago and miss it.). It would serve as a part time daily driver (I have a couple of others vehicles to share in the commuter duty) as well as a beach and trail rig. I would like to get into rock crawling eventually, but considering I live at the beach (Virginia Beach), and I think the nearest rock trails are in Charlottesville, it's not the first thing I'll be heading out and doing. So I was originally thinking about the Rubi, the Dana44s and lockers really appealed to me, but the TJ just doesn't seem as practical. And there's just something about the LJ Rubi I'm just not the biggest fan of (ok it's the looks). So I was thinking aboutthe XJ. It has more room, would be cheaper to purchase (I'm not made of money), and since it would be cheaper I'd be able to afford to mod it more readily than an expensive "new" Jeep, or buy one closer to what I want.
Whew, with all that said can the XJ be as capable as the TJ (I know I just opened up a hornet's nest didn't I)? I know they're pretty tough, but does there size hold them back when compare to the TJ? Also how about transmission choice? Everything I own now is a manual, and the only time I regret it is when I'm sitting in traffic, that clutch gets heavy. Is the auto or manual a week link. Oh and any choice I make will have a 6 cyl (at least), no 4s at all.
Oh and my daily commute is 45 miles, each way, almost 30 of those are highway miles, so fuel economy is a slight concern. Thanks for your input and sorry for the novel.

I'm noy gonna say too much to avoid shaking up that hornet's nest, but... The strength of the transmission depends on the year, and the XJ's can be very capable; the 1990 and newer manuals are pretty decent, and i think the 2002 and newer have even better manuals (the nv3550). I don't know too much about modding cherokees, but do know an XJ will need a bigger lift than a Wrangler to fit the same size tires and to be as capable. The weight difference isn't too much, in fact I think the XJ is slightly lighter. The longer wheel base makes the XJ less manueverable, but allows for a bigger rig overall (tires, lift, etc.). I'm a Wrangler guy myself, and while the xj has alot to offer, I would vote TJ rubi, mainly for personal preference (Wranglers are loads more fun than Cherokees, mainly b/c of the removeable top and doors). It will require much fewer mods to be as capable. However, if it won't see much hard offroading, and you don't really want a convertible, then the XJ would probably be more practical.

Clearance is different between the two. I have an XJ and TJ, both have 3 inch lifts, and the largest tire I could go with on the XJ was 31's while the TJ has the big meats (33). I guess I like having the best of both worlds. I drive them about evenly and the only setback is my TJ is the 4 banger which is not too bad now since gas prices are rising.

really depends on what you want to do, but you know that already. if you're going to really build something up, i say nothing beats a frame. trust me, i had a zj, it was great, and i beat the **** out of it and it held up, but in my experience, nothing can replace a real frame. that said, a yj/tj would be nice on the beach, top down and everything. if you're looking for room though, xj/zj isn't a bad choice.

as far as being bigger, my zj was bigger than my roommates' tj and xj respectively, but if you're not worried about a few natural pinstripes on it, you can get through it.

driver ability is 90% of the battle too. no joke, i've done better in my zj with a 2" bb and 31's than some people do with 33's and bigger tires on some year wrangler. nothing replaces knowing what you're doing. and also, as far as being bigger, sometimes the wheelbase comes in handy. but it can go either way depending on the situation. (ex. steep climb up an obstacle, longer wheelbase, less likely to roll over the back end on you, while a short wheelbase vehicle is less likely to hi-center)

Thanks for the input all. The removable top is very appealing about the TJ, my CJ didn't even have a top or doors! And I know about the lift/tire size differnces between the T/LJ and the XJ. I figured the wheel base difference would hinder the manuveralbility, I'm just not sure by how much. And I will say that this Jeep won't be a totally hardcore trail rig. I want something practical for street use, and be able to handle all but the most hardcore of trails. I really want something that I and my girlfriend can head out camping in, not just the drive up to the KOA, but the semi-middle of no-where. When I decide to go hardcore, it will no doubt be a TJ. Right now, I'm just unsure of the practicality of the TJ. I'd love a Rubicon with a 6" lift and 35's, I just don't know how practical it would be (maybe 4" and 33's would be more livable?).

Last edited:
D.Furious said:
I want something practical for street use, and be able to handle all but the most hardcore of trails. I really want something that I and my girlfriend can head out camping in, not just the drive up to the KOA, but the semi-middle of no-where.

I would say Wrangler...A Wrangler with 33's and 3.5" lift will take you where you want to go offroad, and be plenty practical for street use. When you eventually get into hardcore stuff, just get a 6" longarm and 35's. The turning radius of a Wrangler will be a big advantage offroad...not necesarry on some trails, but you will definately notice a difference between the two.

Not sure what you mean about the TJ not being practical. As everyone else has said (and I agree), it's kindof a personal preference thing, depending on what you really want to do with it. As for me, my TJ is probably the most practical vehicle I've ever owned. Very versitile top - many configurations and easy to remove/put on, has all the room I've needed so far (ever see a wrangler hauling a stand-up bass around?? I've hauled the bass, a hammered dulcimer, 2 music stands, and 2 guitars all at the same time), and it takes me anywhere I need to go...........not to mention it's gotta be one of the easiest vehicles to park (who needs asphalt?). Anyway, I don't think I'd describe them as "impracticle".............just maybe not for you.......which is ok......I like the XJ's, too...........but I'd really like to get an old Willy's wagon.

Actually what I thought about the TJ being less practical was it's ability to haul gear. I know, I know remove the rear seat, but that seems like sacrificing something. But the more I think about what I want, it seems that might just be the route I go. So how livable on the street would a TJ with a 6" lift and 35" radials (like the Baja Claw radial)? My buddy just sold his YJ with a 6" lift and 35's, I would have bought it except it was a 4cyl that wandered like a lost puppy while going down the road. Is that a trait of all lifted Jeeps, or was it just his?

If you get a long arm kit it will handle real nice even on 35's. I drive mine every day and I drive it 500 miles to tahoe. I think the most important thing to know is exactly what you want before you start. You want 33's now and eventually want to step up to 35's. That kind of thing. It will be cheaper in the long run if you do it right the first time. Go straight to 35's whatever trust me it helps doing it the first time around. The coils on the TJ make them handle great, much better than the leaf springs like on your friends YJ.

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll go with the TJ Rubicon. I don't think, after all your input, that it will be unpractical for daily use and it will be more capable offroad once I hit the trails. Thanks again, and hopefully soon I'll be a member of the Jeep community again. I'll still check in with the boards, I still have a lot to learn.

My TJ has a BDS lift and it rides smooth and you don't feel every bug you squash unlike my XJ with a procomp lift. Just my opinion but BDS is good and avoid Procomp. When you lift a vehicle, you will loose gas mileage, just due to headwinds/Drag or whatever you want to call it, not to mention the big meats you put on.

D.Furious said:
Thank you all for your input. I think I'll go with the TJ Rubicon. I don't think, after all your input, that it will be unpractical for daily use and it will be more capable offroad once I hit the trails. Thanks again, and hopefully soon I'll be a member of the Jeep community again. I'll still check in with the boards, I still have a lot to learn.

Well, heck yeah, you better stay here and check in with the boards daily!!:lol: We welcome you with open arms!

As for the decision you've made, I applaud you. I've been a bit outspoken on the XJ/WJ vs SWB (real Jeep) debate in the past, and have had my share of flames because of it. But really, when it comes down to it, it's all personal preference, and both are very capable, just that each has it's own good and bad points. Either way, they are very, very capable.

As to the SWB and cargo space, Mud has mentioned hauling a ton of musical instruments including a stand-up bass in his (and I'd love to see a pic of that cruising down the road!). I took out my back seat shortly after I bought my YJ, and have only put it back in a couple of times when I've taken my nieces and nephews for a ride. Still don't have tons of room back there, but it suits my needs. If you want more space to haul, do what I plan on doing and buy a small trailer to pull behind it. Or you can do as some others here have done and get a roof rack system (I believe Mud has one) or one of those racks that plugs into the receiver hitch.

Good luck on your upcoming purchase and have fun with it!!8)

Well I've decided to get a Jeep sooner than expected. Actually as soon as I can afford it. I just went wheeling in my friends CJ5 on another of our friends properties. We just hi some big soil mounds (some of them more like hills) and some mud holes out in the woods. Even that little bit of wheeling was a ton of fun. Hopefully soon I'll be sporting a new (to me) TJ. And I probably will be checking in daily.

Sparky-Watts said:
................ If you want more space to haul, do what I plan on doing and buy a small trailer to pull behind it. Or you can do as some others here have done and get a roof rack system (I believe Mud has one) or one of those racks that plugs into the receiver hitch..........
QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a roof rack AND one of those reciever hitch thingys AND a little 4 x 8 trailer...............yet I still stuff Bertha (our pet name for the bass) into the back and haul it around - my rear view mirror hates me!!). Once a hillbilly, always a hillbilly I guess..:lol:

mud4feet said:
Sparky-Watts said:
................ If you want more space to haul, do what I plan on doing and buy a small trailer to pull behind it. Or you can do as some others here have done and get a roof rack system (I believe Mud has one) or one of those racks that plugs into the receiver hitch..........
QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a roof rack AND one of those reciever hitch thingys AND a little 4 x 8 trailer...............yet I still stuff Bertha (our pet name for the bass) into the back and haul it around - my rear view mirror hates me!!). Once a hillbilly, always a hillbilly I guess..:lol:

You don't haul Granny around in a rockin' chair in the back of that thing, do ya?:lol:

Back