weird tapping sound when its in drive

Low2ground1

i have 97 wrangler sport 4.0 it started ticking wen its in drive n i looked t my oil preasure wen it ticks seams to drop to lower than 5 any sugesting but sounds like its under neith its not universal joints but i dont know

if it is coming from your motor, may be a lifter that is ticking. when your oil pressure drops it would be circulating less back up to them. Mine is doing a slightly same tick. it is more in the transmission area. im thinkin that it may be in my transfer case, more specifically the drive chain. just a few places to start, depending on where its coming from. as dumb as it sounds, try to feel for it. if you feel it in the hood, probably more in the motor. if you feel it in the shift knob, more in your transmission.

yah im not sure what it is yet i just bought it friday i drove it a lil today didnt do it so i started driving on highway and the noise came so i pulled over and when i put it in park it doesnt do it but i put it in drive it knocks a lil mostley high ways bumpy so but im going to try to change oil first but any other sugestions

does the jeep only make the clicking when it is drive? can you notice the clicking at all when it is just sitting. the clicking should also increase speed with your revs if it is actually an lifter. if the sound just stops when it is in park, it should be more in the drivetrain. when you check the ujoints do you have the vehicle in neutral. that is the only way to really check them. i made that mistake on a 70 maverick once. the u-joints were about to bust apart.

yah the noise came from the engine like it was in the back more by firewell but defently was coming from the engine inside and like i said it only did it in drive and reverse since its an auto i know what ujoints sound like had an old jeep that did that my oil was black and not alot and my antifreeze was low so i changed oil n filter and then added antifreeze coolant when the ticking noise accured in drive my oil preasure droped allmost too 0 now since i changed it has been back up to 40 witch is in the middle and sounds like it fixed the problem hopefully cus i just bought it friday lol thanks jeepers

ok so i tired changing oil and adding the lifter stuff in i did that and add ainti freeze the noise is more coming from the back side of the engine and more on drivers side ONLY TICKS OR CLICKS WHEN IT IS IN DRIVE OR REVERSE OR WHEN YOUR GIVING IT GAS MORE TOWORDS BACK SIDE OF ENGINE i drove it a lil longer than ussual and then it started when it ticks my oil preasure drops to allmost 0 with new oil so people help me out lol i just bought it friday and its 90 degrees and i wanna drive it

I would check the oil pump drive gear on the distributor shaft and see its condition. If it looks good , then i would make sure that there's no restriction on the oil filter housing, Inlet and outlet. If that checks out, check the oil pump and the bottom of the oil pan for metal debris.

Back