what diffs and t cass transmission do i have

shevyluv69

I am a new jeep owner and have worked on few gowing to build soon so i need to know what i got. I have an 88 wrangler whith 4.2 5 speed where and how do i find out what diffs I got and what transmission and t cass. belive it or not i am a mechanic but i have work on very few jeeps

1993 Wrangler radio

If it's all factory.......

Transmission----Peugeot BA 10/5 5-speed.
Tcase-------------New Process (NP)231
Front axle--------Dana 30
Rear axle--------Dana 35

RE: Emmissions for a V8ed CJ

thanks for the info I am new to the jeep thing i curently race a short bed chevy whith a luv body and 510 cubic inch big block 600 horse nitros so I am really in a new ball game trying to do this jeep thing I guess i am going to SOA,4.0 HO SFI, and a set of 35 bfg or so properly geared and whith lockers will this axels take much abuse.

The front will be fine. If it busts, it will probably be a shaft and there are aftermarket ones available to cure that. The rear is a little more "iffy". You're probably better off to swap in a Ford 8.8" or D44 if possible. If not, there are upgrade kits that convert the D35 to 30 spline shafts, but you also need to truss the housing......and you still have to be pretty careful with it if you add a locker and big tires.

Unless something funky happens, that transmission will go long before the front diff. I'd concentrate on the rear axle first, then the transmission, then some Tcase upgrades.......THEN the front axle if you still got upgrade money burning holes in your pockets. Or you could just gut it out and start over, swapping in heavy duty stuff from front to back. Depends on what you intend to do with the Jeep.

I am i Missouri and have not found any places to trail it other than prsonal property and i am usally alone i need to keep it streat able and the wife is short so it wont get too tall. the trany is a little iffy junps out of r gear if not held in what is good to trade out that i could possibly find at junk yard going to probably see more mud and water than rocks.

There are a million different possible swap candidates, but most will require at least one adapter to mate it to your engine and/or your Tcase. That's one reason some people do an engine/transmission/tcase swap at the same time. By the time you replace on major component and upgrade another, you could have possibly swapped the whole deal out cheaper and easier. Just depends.

Check these out for swap info:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/jeep.html

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

I use this site for reference sometimes:

http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission

RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Time!!

I need to know if a bellhowsing out of 6cyl cj and t18 ford and adapted 300t cass. what i need to know i guess is will the bell bolt to the moter

RE: possible axle swap candidates

The CJ bellhousing will bolt to your YJ motor, but there is a difference in clutch linkage, one being mechanical and the other hydraulic.

Where are you at in MO? There's quite a few places to wheel if you know who to ask. I'm on the other side of the river, the right side ;)

Back