What hitch wiring harness do I need?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've got what appears to be a stock mopar tow hitch, and would like to wire it up. I'm looking for input on what wiring harness to buy. The tow bar looks as if the wiring plug should be mountd in the circle (see the photo).

I've found tons of generic ones like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325024_200325024

but it donesn't look like it was made for my hitch. Anyone know where I can find something like that?

Attachments

• newest 050small.jpg
    newest 050small.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 244
  • newest 051small.jpg
    newest 051small.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 374

I cant find a link but I bought a Hoppy from auto-zone that has a plug in adapter to fit 4 and 6, and with the cover that keeps mud and road debris out., I just spliced it into the left rear wiring harness.

After some research, it appears that I can get a round 7 pin switch, or a flat 4 pin one.

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but I'm tempted to get this 4 pin one

Attachments

• LTRTOWWIRING.JPG
    LTRTOWWIRING.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,090
That looks about right. I'd like to be able to mount the recepticle in that rount hole on my tow hitch. I'll hit auto zone on the way home tonight.

thanks

You will want 7pin round if it is to fit that box, then you'll need an adapter for 4flat (the most common trailer harness for light duty).

If you get the 4-flat plug in connector from Jeep make sure you get the one for 04 - 06 TJs. I innocently went to the parts counter and got a plug in harness for my 06 and the spent the better part of a day trying to figure out why my LR tail light and brake light wouldn't work. After doing some searching on several forums it turns out that I had a harness made for 03 and earlier, which is different...

I ended up getting a hoppy that worked perfectly. I'll do a write up tonight with pictures.

Back