What manual transmission works with a 258 i6 and a D300 transfer case?

Hey every body I have a cj7 with a i6 258 and a Dana 300 transfer case and Im looking to from an auto transmission to manual.
I would like a direct bolt up. I don't want to use adapters if possible
I need to do Highway speeds so overdrive is nice.
What model transmission?
what other parts will I need? Clutch linkage ect. Thanks

T176 four speed. You should be able to trade your auto for all the components you need without problem...even your clutch and brake pedal assembly. Lots of people going with autos these days.
You will need the pedal assy, clutch assy, flywheel, bellhousing, transmission, transmission to transfer case adapter (stock style) and of course the floor plate and shifter boot.
BTW.. your crazy for swapping.

I know I sound crazy for the swap but my auto is such a wussy transmission and it cant turn my 35s fast enough for the highway not to mention bad gas milage. Trading in a great idea.

Hey thanks, Does that t-18 mount right up like the t-5 and does it have over drive? I understand the T5 takes no adapters and requires no change in drive shafts.

I know I sound crazy for the swap but my auto is such a wussy transmission and it cant turn my 35s fast enough for the highway

What axle gears are you running? The auto is probably 1:1 in 3rd gear. Can't get any better than that without an Overdrive and the motor probably doesn't have enough power to push 35's if you had a 5 speed overdrive manual.

I would suggest throwing some 4.10's in the axles. If that doesn't fix it then look for a 4.0 litre.

Last edited:
I have 4.10. It turns the 35s fine but at highway speeds my rpms are too high to get good fuel economy. 2500 to 3000 rpm I think that kinda high for a 258 motor for long drives 2hrs plus.

The T-176 should suit your needs well. I think it came stock with this set-up. It's stronger than the T-5, but doesn't have the overdrive. The T-18 is awesome, but I'm not sure it ever came from the factory with the 300 transfer case. You can get an adapter, but it will cost you. The T-176 is plenty strong enough for the 258.

If you want an easy overdrive, then the T-5 should be OK. But if you want more strength, the T-176 would be fine, like David said. I'd probably go with the T-5.

Back