What to do with my top??

Jason4x4

As most of you will recall, I have an '06 Wrangler Sport with the dual top option. I have the hard top on right now, it's been on since October. Last summer I had the soft top on and I loved it.

The problem is I live in an apartment. Last summer my sister/brother in law let me store the hard top at their house for the summer. However, in a week they're moving to Florida so I won't have anywhere to store it (for free anyway). So what are my options?? Is there anything I could do besides rent a storage building? I don't know anyone else that would be willing to let me store the top on their property. Any idea what a storage building would run me?? :cry:

Where do you live? Is having the top a "must"? First thing I wanted to do when I bought my TJ is ditch the hard top...although I never did.

If not, sell it and use the money mod your jeep. You could always use the Soft top as your year-round top.

Look on Ebay, hardtops are getting top dollar! Think of the things you could buy: Winches, Lifts, Tires, Wheels, Winch Bumper, Lockers, the list goes on.

When I lived in an apartment, I built a loft for my bed and threw the CJ hardtop underneath. Sure, its a little ghetto, but it worked.

call up some friends. It can't be any more difficult than getting a couch, bed, or dinning room table up there.

I bought mine with the dual top option and as soon as it got warm the hard top came off and never went back on. I finally decided that it's never going back on so I decided to sell it. A guy is coming this weekend to get it for $800. Yours is newer so you might be able to get more. The heat and a/c work great with the soft top so I really didn't see the need for a top that took more than one person to remove. I say sell it. I would think a storage unit would cost you at least $100 a month depending on where you live. Take that money and the money you make selling the top and spend it on the Jeep. Good luck with your decision.

The storage racks they sell store them standing up. The footprint isn't that bad.

I would think you could get it in a corner, cover it with a sheet, and call it your apartment ghost... maybe sell tours, too.

-X

Darn. I was going to suggest using a winch, tree strap (on the railing from the apartment above yours) and a snatch block to move it on to your balcony.

I use both my tops. The hard top is about to come off for my Moab trip in 3 days (yay!!). I really like the hard top in a Colorado Winter (expecially this winter).

Do you have kids? Put it in their room and it could be their Fort!

when I lived in the barracks on the third floor I stored my top under the bottom flight of stairs.

Hey I agree sell the hard top, like buddy said going for top dollar on ebay, the money you make off the top your can buy some good MT's Or a lift, besides the soft tops look better anyway

I know it won't help you in your situation, but I hang mine in the garage. I back into the garage and hook my straps to the sides of the top and the rafters. I ratchet the top up and then drive out. Don't need any help and it's off the floor and I can store under it. I have a two car garage and only one jeep so I put the top up on one side and park on the other side.:idea:

-Duane

Back