What would i be looking to pay for a 12000 lb winch

stan

Ive done gone and done it... after spending half the day with a few friends tryin to dig ourselves out of some carolina swamp mud in my buddies cheverlet i have made up my mind about buying a winch and i mean a serious dagburn pull your jeep up everest, the D9 needs unstuck, take down a mountain, climp a sequoia tree kinda winch im thinkin about nothing less than a 12000 pounder ive got a cj7 so was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or suggestions on what kind to buy and or what i would need to go with a wince that size, how i could mount it any suggestions or tips would me really appreciated im tired of using come along and elbow grease later.... Ridgerunner. :D

Well one thing is for sure...12K should be big enough.....to pull the frt bumper off, rip an axle right off its mnts.......Kind of an over kill if ya ask me....BUT...what do I know...I don't even have a winch on mine yet!

Hope you have a small power plant to power it. Must draw about 500 amps.
Nothing hard about mounting, get a mounting kit, bolt it on. Done :)

I Just put a Warn 9.5ti on my TJ this past March and it is plenty strong for any SWB Jeep with 9500lbs pulling power. It cost just under a grand and was no problem to mount to the front end with the mounting plate. I also droped in a optima yellow top to help run the winch and the KC lights........

Try to find a used one first. I passed on a 12,000# a couple of years ago. Needed a cable and looked rough, but it worked good and he only wanted $100. I saw an old Warn 8274 in a junkyard one time.....I could still kick myself for not grabbing that :roll:
They're rebuildable.

The rule of thumb is your vehicle weight times 1.5 determines the rating of the winch you will need. Anything more and you will merely drag your Jeep to the stuck vehicle. My 9000lb Warn will drag me to another vehicle anyway if it is stuck to the frame.
I'm not trying to steer you away from the 12,000 just saying that you can do well with an 8 or 9000 lb winch and a snatch block, and can avoid a huge chunk of steel wieghing your front bumper down.
I fmoney is the concen then go with a used Warn or Ramsey and skip the budget winches.

I will second the mile marker. I have the E-12000 and I love it. You do not need to upgrade your power system either, works fine on one good stock battery! www.milemarker.com I think I paid $589 for mine, and it was VERY easy to install...

Back