What year? Which Jeep?

I am thinking about getting a Jeep. Uses would be a alternate vehicle for Sunday drives, trail running. I know this is vague but all I need is a starting point and any help would be appreciated. Jeep would be lifted in the long run and I would prefer fuel injected models. Any possible web sites out there that compare years and mods/durability.

Thanks in advance

If fuel injection is a priority then you should be looking at 91 & up Wranglers with the 4.0 liter OR 87 & up Wranglers with the four cylinder.

Here's a website that might help yo out:

http://jeeptech.com/

Good Luck,
Jim

If you intend to do some hard trail running you don't want one that's too new or pretty.

FI is more efficient, but, keep in mind if it fails 40 miles off the blacktop...

Older carb systems are easily patched on the trail and some guys actually carry a spare fuel pump & carb which do not take up much room.

An entire fi system however consists of many many pieces.

One benifet of the carb AMC 258cid 6 is that it had more lower end torque than the current Chrysler 4.0L 6.

I believe the first Wranglers had the carb Chrysler 6 and FI was introduced a couple years later. '91 sounds about right.

I use my 77 CJ7 around the neighborhood on weekends to run errands and we tow it on camping trips to trail areas. We trailride with it, but, also it is used on pavement to go sightseeing about the areas where we are visiting.

So it has to be a dual use vehicle. Sounds like that's what you have in mind. Also, it's sweet to have a spare vehicle around whenever one of our daily drivers break.

Also : Older Jeeps will cost less to insure and tag.

In conclusion : If it is to be used as a daily driver, I would go for a Wrangler

If it is a spare TOY like mine is, I'd look at the older CJ. Look at the later years, 1980's Models.

hope this helps...

Back