wheel klunk

89stocker

i havent torn into it yet cause its raining but when i grab the back tires and shake them the wheel will clunck and move a little it happens when you do it to both sides and all the lug nuts r tight what would make this clunk like the wheel is loose wheel bearings ??? anyone have any ideas

If your talking about the in and out movement of the Wheel and Axle, that's normal.. It's called an Endplay..

ok so i took the wheel and drum off the axle slides in and out about a 32nd of an inch maybe a 16th is that normal or end play its not wobbly just straight in and out but with the wheel on it and vehicle weight it on it just made a klunk sound should i be worried or is this normal thanks guys

well it doest klunk when you drivin it just when you grab the wheel and shake hard back and forth both back wheels do it is the axle supposed to slide in and out a little cause thats what the noise is

well it doest klunk when you drivin it just when you grab the wheel and shake hard back and forth both back wheels do it is the axle supposed to slide in and out a little cause thats what the noise is
The "Clunk Noise" when the axle bottoms out while pulling and pushing the wheel in and out is normal.. You will have Rear brake issues if the axle is pulling out exessively..

ok this may be stupid but what brake issues would i have and how would i fix the axle from exessively moving back and forth if this did become an issue

ok this may be stupid but what brake issues would i have and how would i fix the axle from exessively moving back and forth if this did become an issue
With the Rear Drum brakes, if that axle is pulling out more than the normal endplay , you will notice the Brake shoes are going to seat on the Inboard of the drums and part of the shoes will seat on the edge.. Depending on what type of axle you have is contingent on how that axle shaft is retained on the housing, either a C-clip on the differential spider gears or a pressed on wheel bearing on the axle shaft retained by a Bracket bearing cup with 4 bolts.. have you taken any measurement on how far its pulling out? , have you pulled the diff. cover and verify where the endplay is coming from other than the axle shaft to the diff. spider assembly?.. a simple inspection will answer your a lot of your questions..

The '89 is a non c-clip axle, that's why I figured any excessive endplay would be a bad bearing.

Back