where are all the roof racks?

socal_dave

Since I bought my jeep I've had a plan to build a roof rack. I even have a fancy idea for making the front half of it removable to that I have the open space above me when I'm running without the hardtop on.

I was going to start laying it out and buying metal this weekend and went looking for ideas and I was shocked to find a distinct lack of roof racks! Whats the deal? Am I missing something?

I don't like the idea of loading up the rear end, seems like I lose visibility in a big way. I really just want to get my spare up on the roof, get the cooler and a couple of bags for camping up there so my rear seat doesn't get filled. Is there a reason why this is a bad plan?

If you have a rack, can I see it? :)

Thanks a ton!

Only down fall is being top heavy and the cost.Not all of us can make our own.

I was wondering about it being top heavy, I think with tire and everything it's probably not more than a couple of hundred pounds, will that make much of a difference?

The swing out tire carriers, which I see a TON of, seem to be about the same in price to a roof rack.

Heh, and if I can make one, anybody can, I'm a HORRIBLE welder ;) Seriously though, tig welders are pretty cheap these days and most community colleges have a welding course.

Roof racks are also an issue if (1) you wheel in areas with lots of trees, and (2) you park the Jeep in a garage...

Quadratec.com has a few.
18200md-1.jpg

I am not a fan of roof racks. The are top heavy and I have seen many of them get bent and broken hitting/rubbing on trees and rock. I think they are best if your building an expidition vehicle, not a trail vehicle

I was wondering about it being top heavy, I think with tire and everything it's probably not more than a couple of hundred pounds, will that make much of a difference?
Yes.. 10 pounds will make a difference, hundred pounds makes a huge difference.

Seriously though, tig welders are pretty cheap these days.
When you find a cheap Tig Welder, buy me one too.. I can't seem to find a good used tig welder for under $1500

It is not so much the weith, but the distance the weight is from the center of gravity; the greater the distance, the greater the leverage that weight will have. On a tire carrier, the distance is about half (especially for the tire, which tends to be one of the heavier items), meaning the effect on the center of gravity is significantly less.

I am not a fan of roof racks. I have seen many of them get bent and broken hitting/rubbing on trees and rock. I think they are best if your building an expidition vehicle, not a trail vehicle

I agree with this; in my case, even though the trails we ride are more expedition style than the western US trails (as in they are long, with lots of mud and river crossing, and no rocks), because of the vegetation (as well as center of gravity issues), noone uses roofracks.

When you find a cheap Tig Welder, buy me one too.. I can't seem to find a good used tig welder for under $1500[/QUOTE]

My bad, meant mig of course. FYI, when my buddy went to buy our tig welder, they cut him all kinds of deals, I don't remember the price but all told it was about 50% off the list price if I recall. It's a buyers market right now, go in and talk to them.

I carried some long 2 X 12 planks (total weight about 60 to 80 pounds give or take) by strapping them to my roll bar and resting them on the windshield frame. I swear I could feel the difference in "tippiness" . That was the worst place to add weight to the Jeep - I drove carefully:bomb: I wouldn't want to try it off road. -John

Well, I let you guys talk to me into a tire carrier :)

I found a good deal on one with hi-lift mount, 2x jerry can mounts and a two position tire holder. The PO had it custom build and even though it's a bit on the heavy side, it's bullet proof.

I did have to cut off the jerry can mounts and make new ones (un style vs blitz i think), I had to cut his mounts off, they were for a tj, I have a yj and they were way too weak for the weight. I also had to move the hi-lift mount a bit so I could open my rear window AND make a plate/light mount since my plate was blocked by the bumper.

I paid 400$ for the carrier, not counting the 8 or so hours work I had to put into it ;)

Post us up some pics of the new rack when you get a chance

I have a "Top Five" rack on my soft-top TJ and love it. Haul my kayaks around all the time, no issues (total weight +or- 100 lbs.). I also have an "auxiliary" rack my son made for me - out of tubing from a "car canopy" that the wind tore up. I haul all kinds of stuff on various combos of the rack(s) with no issues. Of course, on any trails, the rack is usually empty (if on at all). It has made my Jeep so much more versatile, I don't know if I could ever live without it. Next best thing to a pickup truck!;)

I have a "Top Five" rack on my soft-top TJ and love it. Haul my kayaks around all the time, no issues (total weight +or- 100 lbs.). I also have an "auxiliary" rack my son made for me - out of tubing from a "car canopy" that the wind tore up. I haul all kinds of stuff on various combos of the rack(s) with no issues. Of course, on any trails, the rack is usually empty (if on at all). It has made my Jeep so much more versatile, I don't know if I could ever live without it. Next best thing to a pickup truck!;)

I checked those out. Cool concept for us soft top owners but they wouldn't work for peeps like me that already have a light bar. At this point I think I want a new tire carrier with a rack mounted above the spare.

Back