Which Lift? What do you have on your YJ!

Megamole

89 YJ, newer 31" tires and will probably keep them a while, then get 33".:lol:

Looking at Superlift 3.5", Rubicon Express 4" Standard kit, and Fabtech 3.5" kit. If anyone has one of them sound off and let me know how they ride and perform. My Jeep is a summer driver and weekend toy. Looking for a decent road ride and good offroad performance. Let me know your feeling on any other brands too!

I have the Fabtech 3.5" kit on my 89 YJ 4banger. At first the suspension is a harsh ride for the first hundred or so miles until the loosen up then it's pleasent ride. Once broken in it flexs well too.

I have had a 3.5" BDS kit on a '92 YJ, and I currently have a Rubicon Express' 2.5" Standard Duty kit on my 91 YJ.

Both are excellent kits. Rubicon Express' Extreme Duty kits are outstanding. Their 4" kit flexes like a spring-over lift.

Their Standard duty is a good solid suspension, but if it were me, I'd get the 3.5" BDS over their Standard Duty kit. My 3.5" BDS flexed and rode better than my 91 does now, which is only the 2.5 kit (was on the Jeep when I bought it).

If you want the best, RE X Duty or SOA... but the BDS leaf springs are damn good alternatives, I would buy one again in a heartbeat and they have a lifetime warranty which doesn't hurt.

One nice thing about a 3.5" kit is you'll be less likely to have to do a SYE/CV Driveshaft conversion as it is just under the threshold where vibration seems to be an issue. Food for thought.

Last edited:

I've got a 3.5" BDS lift, had it about 6 months, I guess. I love it! Rides close to stock as far as nice and smooth, and it's still breaking in and getting smoother. It's got great flex, as well! Their warranty is unsurpassed; if you can break it, they will replace it for free. Plain and simple. I've only heard of one person who actually broke any part of their BDS lift, and he said they honored the warranty without batting an eye. Good enough for me!;)

I have a buddy who went through 11 BDS springs, all were warrantied. Great customer service. (when I say 11 springs, remember the guys I run with)

I have a buddy who went through 11 BDS springs, all were warrantied. Great customer service. (when I say 11 springs, remember the guys I run with)

Well, I think the crowd you run with is just a bit hard on stuff in general....:lol: Prolly not the typical consumer BDS had in mind when they made their warranty!:p

I also have fairly new 31" tires on mine, and will change to 33" once these wear out, but I was thinking more along the lines of SOA for lift than a lift kit. This way, it maintains the stock ride quality (except for the center of gravity, of course) and improves flex...

But it IS more expensive than a lift kit, though...

Felipe

Yeah SOA can get very involved. I have the RubiconExpress Extreme Duty 4.5 lift and i love it. I don't have any yj buddies that i run around with(everybody has those car things... i think they're called tj's:rolleyes:) but I've been told i can flex almost as well as a SOA. All i know is my 33's rub before it fully flexes out so I'm fine with it. Looking for my jeep i rode around in 100 jeeps prob 40 of them lifted and the RE x-treme duty lift rides better than any of them did. Well worth the money.

I went SOA, and if I ever get another YJ after this one, I'll do it again. I love it. It now just seems to me that it is the way it's supposed to be. I really had no trouble doing it. Sure there's a bit of work involved, but it was nothing I couldn't do in my back yard

I also did my research, so I know it is a very involved process... I know about the SYE, the shaft replacement, the brake line change, the steering changes required, etc. etc. etc... But the end result is well worth it. If you lift a YJ even a little, you are putting more arch on your suspension, which means less flex (of course, you can counter this by allowing the springs to flex better by using teflon or something similar, but you get the idea).

Felipe

SYE, that does it 4.5" RE is out. I not ready for that much work yet. Looks like it is going to be 3.5". Thanks for the info everyone. Now it is between Fabtech, Superlift, BDS. None of them come with disconnects are they necessary addition? What about changing shackles? Do I need a dropped pitman arm?Any word on Black Diamond anyone running them?

SYE, that does it 4.5" RE is out. I not ready for that much work yet. Looks like it is going to be 3.5". Thanks for the info everyone. Now it is between Fabtech, Superlift, BDS. None of them come with disconnects are they necessary addition? What about changing shackles? Do I need a dropped pitman arm?Any word on Black Diamond anyone running them?

As far as quick-disconnects, I got the BDS Ultimate discos with my lift. Not much difference in price over JKS, but a helluva lot better and easier to use! Check out this review:

BDS Ultimate Disconnects

You won't be sorry.;)

As stated above i have the RE 4.5 and i don't have a SYE. Actually i don't have any vibrations at all. Just put the 1 inch transfer case drop and the degree shims in and went. The guy at the local offroad shop says about half the yj's he does over 4 inches need em and the other half don't, every jeep is different.

Red,

I ahve heard the same thing. Even Jeeps of the same year and model, some will need them, some will not... Same for SOA.

Felipe

As stated above i have the RE 4.5 and i don't have a SYE. Actually i don't have any vibrations at all. Just put the 1 inch transfer case drop and the degree shims in and went. The guy at the local offroad shop says about half the yj's he does over 4 inches need em and the other half don't, every jeep is different.

Because half of them are two cylinders shorter than the other half ;) . Seriously, the 4 bangers have a longer rear driveshaft. The AX-5 is a slightly shorter transmission, and the 4 banger is of course two cylinders shorter than the 4.0 Not to say that it's like 6 inches longer, it's about an inch or inch and a half if I remember correctly.

Because half of them are two cylinders shorter than the other half ;) . Seriously, the 4 bangers have a longer rear driveshaft. The AX-5 is a slightly shorter transmission, and the 4 banger is of course two cylinders shorter than the 4.0 Not to say that it's like 6 inches longer, it's about an inch or inch and a half if I remember correctly.

That's exactly right. If you hear of someone running 4-4.5" of lift and no SYE it's a 4 banger and a 5 speed. a 4 cyl with a longer automatic transmission is more likely to have problems too.

Don't take this to lead you to believe that if you have a 2.5/5 sp combo that you definately won't need a SYE... it can go either way, and when offroading in really off-camber stuff that driveshaft is under alot of stress with that much lift and the stock TC slip-yoke style output.
Megamole - most of the kits will have longer swaybar links, with the disconnects optional. That's all you need, but the disco's make a huge difference when offroad.

Most any kit over 3" should have a dropped pitman arm included. If it doesn't then buy one... you'll need it to correct the steering angles.

As for longer shackles, you don't need them unless both ends of the springs are military wrapped eyes like BDS.
What happens there is the rear military wrapped eyes hit the rear crossmember when the springs are fully compressed, making a klunking sound. It's really harmless but annoying... I ran mine like that for several months before I got 1" longer than stock shackles. You do have an alternative, which I would do instead of the longer shackles... you can cut the top half of the military wrap off with a cutting wheel so they look like the "half military wraps" you'll see on some springs. The front is fine with the full military wraps. If you leave the rear trackbar on it probably won't even happen at all, but most people remove it when they lift YJ's as it adds a little rear wheel travel.

The only person I have ever known to run Black Diamond leaf springs was on here. I honestly can't even remember who it was I like the spring design (flat seats like Old Man Emu springs), but I really don't know anything about them other than that.

Ordered the lift today Fabtech 3.5" lift, came with everything I needed to do the lift including dropped pitman-arm. Ordered currie boomerang shackles for the rear heard that helps when offroad. Also bought new energy bushing for the front shackles. Can't wait for it to get here. Got a great price from 4wheelparts.com they beat any price I could find by 10%. Try to post before and after pics, but never have been able to post a pic on this site. The file size is always to big.

Forgot to add 4wheelparts gave me a lifetime you break it they fix it warranty on everything!

Last edited:

Ordered the lift today Fabtech 3.5" lift, came with everything I needed to do the lift including dropped pitman-arm. Ordered currie boomerang shackles for the rear heard that helps when offroad. Also bought new energy bushing for the front shackles. Can't wait for it to get here. Got a great price from 4wheelparts.com they beat any price I could find by 10%. Try to post before and after pics, but never have been able to post a pic on this site. The file size is always to big.

Those Currie shackles in the rear will lift the rear a little more. If you keep the stock shackles up front it may sit a little higher in the rear.

As for posting pics... you can just resize them first. Here's a good link to a "how-to":
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013

Back