white smoke out the exhaust!!!

alexxela13

Does anyone make a complete SOA kit?

i have a 1990 yj wrangler, 2.5, and it is burning oil pretty bad, smoke when i put it in reverse and when i rev the engine in neutral. i dont know what it is, and im having to put in about 1 quart every week and a half, someone give me some ideas on what it could be, cuz i dont wanna go spend 150$ for a mechanic, thanx.

Sounds like you're engine's piston rings are going bad (not sealing the oil from and having poor compression in the combustion chamber), and although it may last a while, eventually your engine will need rebuilding. :(

it could also be valve seals... this would be the better of the two... you can change them in a hour

ok so now i know it is (hopefully) either my piston rings or my valve seals, how do i tell the difference when im taking the valve cover off, and or the entire head??

how to tell the difference?

I WOULDN'T SAY HOPEFULLY ON THOSE RINGS. Won't be able to tell if it is the rings by taking the valve cover off.

alexxela13 said:
ok so now i know it is (hopefully) either my piston rings or my valve seals, how do i tell the difference when im taking the valve cover off, and or the entire head??

Is your Jeep making any noise? Is it running sluggish? Do you have any oil leaks?

I"m with jeepin916, white smoke is usually water/coolant. Oil smoke like he said has a blue tint to it. just my .02

how do i find out what it is

You said you're losing oil. Do you have any leaks? if not, you're burning it. It should smell like burnt oil, too. Are you losing coolant?

yes i am burning it, ive delt with oil leaks before and i always know that smell and i havent checked the coolant. what would be broken if the coolant is burning?

alexxela13 said:
yes i am burning it, ive delt with oil leaks before and i always know that smell and i havent checked the coolant. what would be broken if the coolant is burning?

You lost me there.

You do or do not have an oil leak now? I don't think I was too clear on my post, either. I was implying that if you don't have an oil leak, you must be burning oil, which will have that distinct odor. If you are not losing coolant at all, that would prove the smoke to be burnt oil.

If you are losing coolant and have an oil leak, well you are probably burning coolant.

Man I hope that made sense!

i am burning oil, no leaks, i believe. i smell burnt oil when i am driving. and i have not checked if i am losing coolant, but i am about 99% sure it is oil.

laneiac said:
Isnt white smoke a sign of a blow head gasket?

notmally, yes... but if he is not famliar withthe difference, he could be confusing oil smoke to be white

Try checking the end of your oil dipstick to see if there's a whiteish sludge on it. If there is, you could have a blown headgasket and coolant could be getting into your oil. Oil could also be getting into your coolant.

Back