Winter Comes to Kansas....again

Well, we ended up with about 4" of sleet, very little freezing rain, and no snow. I got called back into work yesterday around 10:30 am, and didn't get home till about 11:00 am this morning. 48+ hours of OT should pay a few bills! :D

We had pre-treated most of our properties with ice melt before the storm hit, and that really saved our butts. Those that were pre-treated were pretty easy to shovel. The sleet had frozen solid on top, but wasn't frozen to the sidewalks and drives, so we could easily get a shovel underneath it, at least until the temps dropped below 15 degrees. The icemelt we use only works down to 15 degrees. A few of the properties that didn't get pre-treated were a different story! Hours of chopping and chiseling to get the stuff up! Temps got down to 8 degrees with windchills of -15. Not bad until I started sweating. That sucked, because I'd cool down between jobs and my clothes would be wet, then I'd get cold. Then, by the time I got done with the next job, I'd be sweating again. It's a wonder we don't all die of the 'monia!:shock:

Thank goodness it's all over for a while. I'm gonna get a little horizontal time then go play in the Jeep. I aired the tires down to 18 lbs and got excellent traction on the ice and sleet. Thinkin' I'll air'em back up to have some fun this afternoon!

Deja vu, part dieux!! NWS is calling for 4-6" of snow starting Saturday morning and ending sometime early Sunday morning! :shock: Looks like another sleepless weekend for the Sparkmeister. Fortunately for the folks in the western half of the state that are still buried by as much as a foot of snow from the New Year's storm, snowfall amounts out there are supposed to be less than 2". Can you believe that some of those people in Western Kansas are still without electricity, and have been since Dec. 29th?!?:shock:

Got my work van piled with 800lbs of ice melt, two snow shovels, and a spreader, so I should be good to go.

Oh, yeah, and we've still got 1.5-2" of hard frozen sleet on the ground from last weekend. That won't help much for removal purposes.

We ended up with 9" here in No Hope, Wichita got about 7". I was out all night Saturday night, into Sunday evening, 25 hours straight. Counting my drive time and prep time, I was away from home for 28 hours, and awake for 40 with a couple of 5-10 minute cat naps in between. Unfortunately, those cat naps occurred while I was driving from one job to another!:purple:

I slept 10 hours over night last night, took a 2 hour nap this afternoon, and I'm still beat!

Back