Won't start, good battery

dlnagold

Hi, hope someone can help me. I have a 95 jeep wrangler 2.5l, the battery is 1 month old and it will not start, when I turn the key, it is sluggish shounding for about 1 - seconds then nothing....I have a manual transmission and can "roll" start the jeep and it runs fine. Any thoughts?

Look for loose connections and bad grounds as a start. Off the top of my head that's all I can think of. I would especially check the terminals on the battery, sounds like they could be loose. The alternator is probably good since it's charging enough to continuously run the Jeep, but it being bad is also a possibility. Pull it out and get it bench tested at your local auto parts store. Also, check for shorts, anything that could be putting a slow drain on the battery.

Sorry, I should have posted that I checked the connections at the battery and where they lead to, and all are good both positive and negative..

Ok, I have a basic charger/alternator checker that gives me a green light for alternator....now I gotta rule that out...I forgot to add that I am a newbie also....

That's okay, we were all newbies once and I still am for some projects :D

Just take it slow and think everything out and you'll be okay. Problems like this are tricky but they can usually be solved using the process of elimination.

is there an easy way to test the starter? Also, I read somewhere how to read the diagnostic trouble codes, and I have none showing...all I got was 55

Sounds like a bad starter.

Gah, I didn't even think of the starter, stupid me. That should have been the first thing!

is there an easy way to test the starter? Also, I read somewhere how to read the diagnostic trouble codes, and I have none showing...all I got was 55

The starter is easy to pull out. Pull it off then take it to your local auto parts store, they have a machine that can bench-test it. Alternatively, you could just pull it off and have someone turn the key, but half the time it will still spin up.

also check your cables, not the connections, but the actual cables... but it is sounding like a starter issue. do you have all your accessories when you turn your key?

You could also have something draining your battery, which may cause the battery to be dead. I would not discard testing the battery to be sure that's not an issue, but I also think it's gonna be the starter...

there are about 4 possibility's
1) bad connections or ground
2) bad alternator
3) bad starter
4) bad batt / or dead batt
your local auto part store can test your starter /alternator/batt if you pull them out and bring them in these 4 points would be my guess

You could jump the solenoid on top of the starter. If the starter turns over properly when jumped you know it’s the solenoid. The starter is like a Chevy in that the solenoid is a separate unit on top of the starter but I don’t think you can buy one without the other.

Safety first if you do this. Have someone in the jeep, transmission in neutral and foot on the brake.

Thanks for all the advice. I have not yet taken the starter off, nor have I jumped the solenoid. I have checked the battery, it is good, I have also checked the alternator, it is good.

I did find that when I durn the key, the accessories are on; however, when I turn it to crank, the battery meter goes all the way down....then it trys to cranke; however, it is like someone is holding the pistons down.....not really but I hope you guys get what I am trying to say....almost like there is gunk in the engine; however, I do not think this is the case, as I changed the oil last night..

I know the battery is one month old, but have you considered having it tested? A drain could have killed the battery for good.

Yeah, in past experiences I've found that if a car battery is gonna die sooner than it's expected lifetime, it's gonna die in the first three months. It's not uncommon; sometimes they just have bad cells from the factory.

Get it tested.

Thanks for all the advice. I have not yet taken the starter off, nor have I jumped the solenoid. I have checked the battery, it is good, I have also checked the alternator, it is good.

I did find that when I durn the key, the accessories are on; however, when I turn it to crank, the battery meter goes all the way down....then it trys to cranke; however, it is like someone is holding the pistons down.....not really but I hope you guys get what I am trying to say....almost like there is gunk in the engine; however, I do not think this is the case, as I changed the oil last night..

If when you turn the key on the volt meter comes up to around 12 volts the battery is probably ok. The electrical system is designed so when you turn the key to the starter crank position it cuts off the dash & accessories to give full power to the starter. From what you are describing my bet is still on the starter or starter solenoid. Unfortunately starters are not cheap any more.

Back