Wrangler JK 4 door rear seat question

lomofo

New to the site & looking for a little help!

Is it possible to switch the rear seat out of a 2 door JK wrangler into a 4 door JK to get more leg room in the rear without too much modification? I just bought an 08 4 door & am looking for a way to get a little more room in the rear seats.

Any ideas out there, or has anyone done this conversion.

Thanks for any help out there, I appreciate it.

Andy

xt master,

if you dont want to help dont respond. I'm trying to figure out if I can switch out a 2 door wrangler seat into a 4 door due to the fact that the infant carrier that we have wont fit in the back seat if you are anywhere close to being comfortable sitting in the front.

sorry it is foreign words to you, do i need to write something in crayon for you to understand or is this a good enough explanation on what I am trying to do?

Guess I expected too much from you, especially since you are a senior member on here I would have thought that someone like myself would get a little help on this especially since it was my first post, but maybe I asked something too difficult for you to comprehend....

Lets start out a little easier for you?

How do you put the key into the ignition?

Get back to me on the seat thing, thanks

Last edited:
wow acting like that will get u no help.... just thought i'd let U; know.. and no i have no idea how to do that. and the question that u should b asking is will it b "safe" for your baby if u do the conversion.

OH SNAP!!! Here we go again! Didn't we just go around like this a couple of months ago?? Seems like it was a guy wanting the "round about it all, super charged, hemi powered Jeep"? He got offended REAL quick when things didn't go his way. Then it got Nutz from there. Lomofo, lighten up my friend. That "stupid ol', crayon using, retarded turd-face, (sorry I added the last part) xt master was just throwing out a little "Jeep Humor". Your gonna have a few of those on this "JEEPZ.COM" site. Now let's try this again. Ask nice...don't yell. We're all friends here. Question: Can I fit a 2 door seat into a 4 door seat? Answer: Leg room?In a Jeep? These are foreign words to me.

abe & bobcat,

thanks for the replies. I can really care less about the legroom as compared to being able to fit an infant seat in the back without having to sit @ 90 degrees in the passenger seat, hehe.

If the modification can be done safely that is my first concern. I know that the two locking pins would have to be added to the rear floor, but I dont know how the front area where the hinges of the 2 door rear seat would connect.

I totally understand humor on message boards, guess that when I asked my very first question on Jeepz, I didnt expect to run into Johnny Smartanswer on the first reply. I will tone it down from now on, I'm in this for the brotherhood of passing a Wrangler & throwing a wave & learning as much as possible. My dad has been a long time Jeep owner & I'm on my 2nd Jeep....now that I have a new addition to the family, I want to make his Jeep experience as happy & safe as possible.

Thanks again for the replies.

Andy

I think the seats are the same. To get more room, you would have to move the brackets, but then you would have to move the seat-belts and anchors. It would be a lot of work and compromise the safety of the jeep. That said, are you really that tall, or are you just riding 'gangster'?

I think the seats are the same. To get more room, you would have to move the brackets, but then you would have to move the seat-belts and anchors. It would be a lot of work and compromise the safety of the jeep. That said, are you really that tall, or are you just riding 'gangster'?

x2.I would think,and im not 100% sure,that Jeep uses the same seat in both just to save on production costs.Also I am not being a smart @$$,but is a Jeep safe for a child seat?What I mean by that is there the safety connection points for the car seat?This I have no idea on,but I know my wife's car as 3 points to connect the car seat to with safety strap and then the car seat also.I know my TJ does not have those,I have not looked that closely on JK.

lomofo, Welcome to the Z, and you took the first reply way too seriously. Sit back and enjoy, give informative replies some time to appear.

In comparison with part#'s, i don't see a difference on the bench type seats and there was no designation if it was a 2 door or 4 door. This leads me to beleive that they are both interchangeable however, since there was no difference in the part#, they would be the same seat. The 2 different types i saw however was the Bench or the split type seats. The mountings on these are not the same.

Thanks everyone.

I know that the 2 door jeep has the seat release @ the top of the seatback and is a tuck and fold seat. the rear seat in our 4door is a split seat that doesnt tuck and fold, but rather just lays down. The 2door seat has removable headrests & the 4 door you cant remove them, but they fold down when you flip the seat forward.

hzryr61 not riding gangster @ all, the infant seat is behind my wifes seat on the passenger side. when the infant seat is in place the passenger seat is slid forward pretty far and the seatback is almost @ 90 degrees straight up, sorta uncomfortable.

From what I can see from pictures and what I remember from the 1 2 door JK that I have looked at a while back, the tuck and fold seat has 2 seat brackets that are in the floor in the cargo area that would have to be added. The 4 door seat is wider since it actually sits in front of the rear axle, not like the 2door seat which is over the axle in the cargo area. If the seat mounting points for the tuck and fold seat and the flip down seat are the same, then it would be adding the brackets to the floor in the rear and reinforce them from the bottom of the cargo area.

Thanks for the help so far, I apprecaite it.

xt,

yep, they have the child seat anchors on the rear seat from the factory. 3 different mounting locations. dont know how long they have been doing that but I would say @ least since 07

Bounty Hunter, thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

Andy

It took me a while, but I think I understand... Is the [baby] car seat facing rearward? That makes the 'not fitting' make a lot more sense to me. My daughter has been facing forward for 9 yrs now, and I totally forgot about that. Check the baby seat owner's manual. It might have info in their about propping the front of the car seat up with a rolled up towel (the front, as in, the part closest to the front of the car). This might put the seat at a higher angle and put the top of the baby seat further away from the front seat.

BUT CHECK THE BABY SEAT OWNER'S MANUAL FIRST!. You don’t want to jepredize you baby.

Oh, and check if the baby seat has a reclining feature that could accomplish the same thing.

yep, that is the issue. It is a rear facing child seat since he is a newbie. When he is old enough 2 turn around & be in a regular car seat it wont be an issue.

thanks for the reply

Dude I went thru this same thing with my wifes Subaru. We have twins and 3 months before the kids came I bought her a new 06 Subaru. A lifted 91 Wrangler wasn't going to cut it. When the kids came home and I put in the rear facing seats at the hospital I had to drive home with my knees in the dash. Once they move to the other seat your all set. Its was a long year but I wasn't trading in a 3 month old car and taking the hit for some leg room. Good Luck

Back