XJ 4.5" Rusty's lift, need drop pitman...

TheMonk

Hey I have the 4.5" Rusty's lift and I seem to be getting some binding in the steering system. What amount of drop for a pitman arm do you suggest? I've been getting different stories from people I know ranging from 1.25" to 5". Thanks

Hey where are you at NJ.? I think I may have seen your rig in brick town back in October when we were there. It was around halloween.

Yea, that was probably me, I'm from the Lake Como/Belmar area. I definitely hang around Brick too.

You shouldn't need a drop pitman arm at 4.5" on an XJ.

Have someone cycle the steering lock to lock while you watch the linkage. Is something hitting? I think I remember there's a common problem with something rubbing on the pass side... stabilizer? Drag link... sorry I really can't remember...

I had 5.5" coils on my MJ with the stock pitman arm, and no binding. Same steering setup as yours.

A 1" drop over stock is about the largest drop practical. A stock ZJ pitman arm is about 1" drop over stock XJ/MJ.

The problem with dropping the pitman arm is that the draglink is no longer parallel with the track bar, which often creates bumpsteer. The draglink and track bar should remain parallel for proper steering and handling.

Alright, thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna probably go with just checking over the whole steering system and make sure I know exactly where the problem is coming from before I go out and buy stuff that I might not need. Thanks again.

Alright, thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna probably go with just checking over the whole steering system and make sure I know exactly where the problem is coming from before I go out and buy stuff that I might not need. Thanks again.

you will need a longer adjustable track bar.
Just on a 3.5 inch lift on the XJ pulls the axle over a bit.
RE makes a decent one.

Last edited:

Well I do have a longer adjustable trac bar, so maybe I just need to adjust it? haha, damn my steering system.

as you raise up the body the axle shifts to I think the drivers side. The longer adjustable bar lets it come back to center.

Back