YJ 15 to 20 gal tank conversion

Ok, so today we had 60 degree weather, and the rain last night coming back from Wichita washed most of the mud off the underside of the Jeep, and to top it all off, I was under a 1/4 tank of fuel, so I decided to do the conversion. I had 3 different "How To" pages bookmarked that I had gotten from the gang here on the Z, so I started reading. The one that sounded easiest is here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/

According to that writing, I didn't need to drop the tank, which sounded great to me, seeing as how I'm not much for heavy mechanic work. I started at 2pm, and was done with the entire operation, including running over to the pumps and filling it to the brim, by 2:50pm!!! All in all, about 45 minutes using this website's advice and instruction. I'm pretty darned pleased with myself now. It filled right up to the top before the pump shut off, no more of that waiting for 10 minutes at the pump, squeezing in that last 5 gallons.

The hardest part (at least the only part I needed help with) was getting the license plate holder back on. I had to pry it open while Sunshine started the screws for me. Other than that, I guess pulling the tube out of the tank was the hardest. Got me lots of cuts and bruises out of that ordeal. It took me longer to find my torx head bits than it did to do the mod!

For anyone with a YJ that's been holding back on doing this, I say jump right in and do it, it's easier than you think (especially if I can do it in 45 minutes!)

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I have no lift, didn't have to drop the tank, and didn't even have to put it on ramps or blocks or jackstands or anything!

Yup, mud, it sure is! What to do next, though? Ain't got the money for any of the other mods on my list yet....I'm thinkin' the next one will be an electric fan or rear locker. I know I can do the fan myself, but I'm not at all sure about doing a locker by myself. Never done anything anywhere near that difficult. Most I've done is a water pump on an '85 Camaro. Sure, that was simple, but hey, it was on the ex-witch's car, and I didn't really care if it was right or not.....I want to be sure I can do it right on MY Jeep!

RE: Re: RE: handguns or women?

I'm real happy with the extra capacity, and that I can wheel most of a day before the guage comes off full.

RE: question about lifts

Yeah, that's a good point, Bounty. I figured out by accident last summer when I was tornado chasing in Nebraska that I could squeeze 20 gallons in the tank. We were heading out from North Platte into a desolate area on the last chase of the day, and I wanted the tank as full as I could get it, so when it shut off, I just kept squeezing the handle till gas ran out of the nozzle. It wasn't until after I went in and paid that I realized I'd put 18 gallons in! So, after that, I just kept doing it, but man, it would take 10 to 15 minutes most times to get that extra 5 gallons. That's the best part for me, knowing I can fill in a couple of minutes now.

That's cool Sparky. :eek: I wish I would have known this when I had mine apart, but I sounds simple enough to do. May have to do a little surgery this weekend. :)

Good job and thanks for the info.

mike

I did the 15 - 20 gal mod today,it was easier than I thought. the hardest part was the vent tube however I figured out if you get a large enough screw/bolt you can thread it into the tube and pull it out. it comes out of the tank easier that way no war wounds.

nick

Oil Pressure Gauge/Sender?

sicnik said:
the hardest part was the vent tube however I figured out if you get a large enough screw/bolt you can thread it into the tube and pull it out.

That's a damn fine idea! Where was that advice when I did my way back when?!?!?! I busted my knuckes up pretty good :idea:

yeah the first time I jabbed my hand with the screwdriver I thought there had to be a better way....lucky I found it before I had to make a trip to the ER.

Back