YJ lift??

jayysmith87

Hi. I have a 92 yj and im starting to get it looking and running like a jeep again. i want to lift it but i dont just wanna lift it like a inch or two i was thinking 4". but i have 31's on it and i dont just dont feel i need bigger cuz all i do is normal mudding.. nothing to extreme.. but i want to lift it.. everyone tells me a 4" likt with 31's will not look good at all. so if anyone can post pics of their jeep and give me their opinions it would help me out alot with my decision. thanks.

Here it is...exactly as you asked. I plan on stepping up to 33's, but can't seem to wear these shoes out.

DSCN1953.JPG

DSCN1954.JPG

Rough Country. It's 4" with 1" bommerang shackles (front only). I put the bommerangs on to get up to a full 4". They front springs they sent me "sagged" to 3.25" A little complaining and he sold me the bommerangs for cost to get it up to 4". I'm not knocking the springs, I think the massive 80 lb. bumper and winch on front did it. I can't complain about thier system at all. It was very complete, and when I did have the problem with the "sag", he did everything he could to make me happy. All in all, I would do it again in a heartbeat. They were VERY good price-wise (1/3 less), and backed me up when I had a problem. PLUS, (too late for me) you can get a JEEPZ discount through the site. Whole package for me with quick disconnects/shocks.boots was somewhere around $750. Decent deal for what I got a think. and it flexes like a mother now. From what I gather, I have room for 35's at this point (with little trimming), but have no plans for going that far. 33's is enough for me. So if you plan on going bigger later, it will handle it. Good luck, Brad

wut size motor do u have? i have the 2.5l and will the lift effect the proformace? and wut mods can i do to help the little 2.5 out?

I've got the 2.5, and no it will not effect the lift at all, or vice-versa. As far a 2.5 mods go, you should first check into a cold air intake and better exhaust. Then head for a throttle body spacer and cam. You need the air to go in and out better before you think about a cam, and from what I've heard throttle body spacers are almost optional. The people who have used them either "don't" see or "might" see a power gain. I have no experiance with them myself though. BUT, you still must consider that not matter what you do, you will still have a 4-banger. The money that you will throw into it will never payoff in power-gain compared to an inline-6. Other than better intake, I have no engine mods. If your like me, just except that you have what you have, and know that it is more reliable than the bigger brother. Later, Brad

Well, yes and no. First, you gotta remember that you can wind that little 2.5 tight. You don't HAVE to shift when the shift light comes on. Run it up more and use what's available. Second, gearing can be lowered a bit, but I think the money you put into that, could be better spent on different/stronger axles. The way I myself figure it, off road, it no problem. That's what 4-low is for. On the road, it might take a little longer to get up to speed, and you can always down-shift on inclines. I know there is more than 1 person on here running 33's with a 4 banger. I know of 1 running 35's, but he has re-geared. You should just know that all the money put in on mods for a 2.5, are not going to pay off dollar for dollar. I don't know any specific numbers, but the horsepower gain out of a modded one is not as much as you would expect or hope for. Maybe someone else has some numbers, but I don't think they will be that impressive. Are you running 31's now? Does it do well for you now? The difference in RPM between the two is only about 170 rpm's running down the road. Anyway something to think about. Later

yes i am running 31's just some off brand kind i had bfg's and i liked them very much! i thinks thats what im goin to go back to. do u have any more pics of your jeep i like it alot with the 4" lift. but ppl say it looks dumb with only 31's i think it looks fine.. and did the kit come with everything u needed.. ive lowered cars in the past and i do my own repairs so i think i can do it myself. ppl say u need to do make the brake lines longer?

P.s. Install was a breeze. Just make sure you spray the old nuts/bolts several times a week before. You'll need a pickle fork to bust the pitman arm off. An impact will save some knuckle skin too.

i love when someone has the samee questions as me
and someone like bobcat has it on lock down.
thats the exact kit i was looking at and now im confident in it!
did u get the wobble after the lift?

i am very pleased with bobcats info that he has givin me.. very helpful! thank you! now i think im going to lift it! :D if anyone has anymore pics of there yj with a 4" lift with 31's please post.. i would still like to get an idea of what my yj will look like.. thank you.

No....no wobble at all. Actually, I never even had it aligned. This is where I say what my dad says. "Do as I say, not as I do". Get it aligned afterwards. Don't be an idiot like me. It ran straight and true when I put the lift in on a Friday night, local alignment shop was closed 'til Monday, I got busy on Monday, and Tuesday, then 2 years later I never seemed to have gotten it done. I think I am just lucky that it all went back in true. Get yours aligned. Later

An alignment after a lift isn't that important on a YJ unless you just want the steering wheel to be recentered. The toe-in and caster does not change when lifting a YJ like it does with a TJ. One of many reasons YJ's are better ;)

31" tires with 4'' lift. 15x8 wheels. 3.75 backspacing.

Attachments

• Jeep closeup with new wheels.jpg
    Jeep closeup with new wheels.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 12,756

Nice. What brand? Jaysmith needs to see some other options other than what I have told him.

'94Yj with Rubicon Express 4" lift and 31" HT tires (of course, this was before many more mods were done):

DSC02421-1.jpg

DSC02420-1.jpg

DSC02419-1.jpg

Back