YJ steering box

Just a reminder, it will rob you of a little power and fuel economy.

I had a 4 cyl YJ with manual steering, and I noticed it was a little stronger and a little better on fuel than a couple of other ones I drove. I think that unless you do alot of low speed steering or rock crawling then it is not worth converting it to power. If you do either of those than I could see it being a worthwhile trade-off.

I looked at my steering box on there now and it has 4 bolts holding it on, all the xj boxes I looked at have 3 bolts, and will the pitman arm work also?

It'll bolt up, but you'll need a pitman arm for power steering.

Consider picking up a steering box from a '98-'99 Durango as it is an upgrade.

The XJ pitman arm will work, but it has about 1" more drop than a stock YJ arm. Good for use with a lift.

Dude, 3" of body lift and longer shackles is not the proper way to lift. Consider getting away from both and installing some quality lift springs and you'll have fewer problems in the long run. Your jeep will be safer and perform better.

I wouldn't go over 1" in BL and no more than a 1" longer shackle. Any more and you put a lot of stress on the body mounts/bolts, and you mess with pinion angles and caster.

Dude, 3" of body lift and longer shackles is not the proper way to lift. Consider getting away from both and installing some quality lift springs and you'll have fewer problems in the long run. Your jeep will be safer and perform better.

I wouldn't go over 1" in BL and no more than a 1" longer shackle. Any more and you put a lot of stress on the body mounts/bolts, and you mess with pinion angles and caster.

X2!

The longer the bolt on the body, the more leverage it will have in case of a collission (and this is not even considering rust!), which makes the jeep more dangerous. As for the shakles, the longer the shakle the more leverage it has on the body mount, and the more likely they are to fail (and they fail sometimes wven WITHOUT the help of the longer shackle, so you are expanding on an existing potential problem!).

I also recommend a good suspension lift.

Felipe

It had the body lift on it when I bought it. It was a package deal that came with 2 cj7 tubs, 1 in excellent shape and 1 in fair shape. 1 cj7 frame completely refurbished, 2 complete front clips, a set of stock axles(AMC 20 & dana 30), turbo 350 transmission w/new TC, NP 205 and misc. parts. The YJ had new 33" boggers on it so I can't complain too much. Now it has the starting problem.

Back