Yj Suspension Lift??

TNFISHRMAN

I have a 1994 YJ with the Renegade package. I am wanting to go with a Suspension lift for now until I find new axles and then to a total undercarriage rebuild and spring over. My question is I have a good friend that has a 3.5 - 4" Rough Country suspension lift kit sitting from where he totaled his 1993 YJ. The kit is still in the box and has never been used. I also live in Tennessee and can get a good deal on a 3.5 - 4"Tuff Country suspension lift kit. Does any one have any preference for either of these kits? Any pros or cons?? Anything that I should watch out for with one of these kits??? I also would like to know about installing the longer shackles with a susupension lift? Is this a good thing to go ahead and do??? Would you do any other things underneath while installing the lift? Lots of Questions I know but I appreciate you answers. Lynn

tuff country and rough country use the same crappy components. if it were me i would just wait and do it right, and do SOA if thats what your plan is. if not just spend the extra coin on an RE lift, you'll understand why afterwards. as far as lift shackles go, theyre not the best thing in the world, the screw with your caster and are just a cheap way to get extra height. if your looking for more clearance find a set of tj flares and install them.

Currupt is totally right. i have rough country 3" on my 91 yj. its all complete junk.

oh yeah, i have 1" lift shakles. good for lift, bad for everything else. because of the change in angle of the shakles, due to the fact that they are longer, my junky springs dont flex as well. and with only one inch, they gave me a death wobble. so if you like being happy, dont punch your self in the face with rough country and long shakles.

RE 4.5" LIFT, Don't mean to sound dumb but, who makes it and where can you get it? Are there any other worth checking out?

Rubicon express, they also make a 5.5" version which is the same kit with 1" lift shackles

I am a firm believer in steering clear of suspension systems with "Rough", "Tuff", or "Trail" in their brand name.

all you guys hit the nail on the head there. rough country's are horrible in quality. my buddy had one for about three weekd on his yj, and the leaf clams were coming lose cuasing the spring pack to pop and twist, it was ugly. he took it back to the shop and had it replaced with a..... pro comp, i think. It was a little better and a lot more solid of a ride. also, on the shackle lifts, dont forget they kill your departure and asceding angles and flatten your leaf packs.

How about the Rustys 4 inch lift? Thats what i went for and so far it has held up pretty good, although ive gone wheeling like 3 times. Pushed it really hard though!! What do u guys think of the kit??

I have been looking into lifts as well. I want 33in tires. Price of the rough country is what i like. And i know you get what you pay for. what are some other kits that are good that are close to that range?

When you say there quality sucks what exactly do you mean by that? springs break or something?

Thanks, that does seem like a good deal. What else would one need? Im sure this sounds like a newb question but well...... it is. LOL Still havent decided if i want to do this before or after the move to Colorado. Probably after but need to learn now. LOL

Thanks again,

Yup...everything u need to lift will be sent to you. When I ordered my lift from rustys they told me that it did not include the pitman arm, the guy said some people choose to put them on others dont, either way they have some available. I chose to order one with my kit, and that was all i needed to lift. Shipping and everything else was smooth i recomend these people.

Back