YJ Tailgate Conversion

SkrogPappa

RE: AX5 transmission

Anyone know if a CJ flip-down tailgate will fit a YJ body? What about the swinging tire holder? Can I convert the YJ swinging tailgate into a flip-down?

Thanks

1996 Honda Civic in Northeasten Ohio

i'd be interested in knowing about the swingout tire carrier... my spare wont clear the new bumper w/the stock mount...

WTF????

I put a CJ tailgate on my YJ tub when I did the tub swap. They are the same size and fit perfectly. You just have to figure out how to bolt the tailgate on. There are a couple write-ups out there. There is a boxed in area underneath the tailgate that I cut into from the back and fabbed a couple plates with nuts welded to them, and some sheet metal to hold them in place but still allowed to move a little. This allowed me to bolt the tailgate down but still move it around a bit to get it lined up just right. And I can take the tailgate off if I need to for some reason without removing the body again.

i changed my yj tailgate to a flipdown simply by moving the hinges from the side to the bottom, but i dont have my spare tire carrier on anymore so i dont know how you would go about doing it if you wanted to keep it on

I've got my hands on a used CJ spare tire carrier. Amazingly enough the hinges/mounts for the carrier fit where the YJ tailgate used to be. The only problem I have is the carrier I have doesn't have the bushings/pins for the hinges. I've searched the web trying to find replacements, no luck so far.

Anybody know where I can get some good replacements for these?

Thanks

We put a CJ tail gate on my buds YJ, we had to drop the Gas Tank to get up behind the body to mount some plater. We used the CJ hinges, and drilled the body, on the back we made plates out of 1/2 steeel, drilled and tapped. we were gonna weld it up, but seeing as the jeep just got painted, this method worked great. the plates were like 2"x5" (I think) we then just used some Nylon covered cable to make drop down stops.

Back