YOUR dream rubicon

jonsolbe

If you had a rubicon and nothing else to spend your time and money on, and you wanted to build a jeep that would be a sort of "leatherman" of jeeps, and you wanted to be able to take that jeep just about anywhere in the world and would need onboard equipment, spare parts, and tools, what would you modify and what would you take?

First thing I would do, is sell the chrysler and get a CJ........I'm a firm believer in KISS.

Something like this would be a good all around combination of street and trail:
Wounded Warrior Project - Warrior Jeep

Picture:
image-missing.png

I don't know man... pulse air system and a carter carb? My 85 CJ7 had miles of vacum tubing.

Yeah, but you nutter it (no more computer), and mc2100 it (a carb so easy my 4 year old can rebuild it AND you get rid of 90% of the vacuum lines) and it's about as simple as you can get. No sensors to go bad, no computers or electronics to go bad (except the ignition, and I've seriously considered getting an old points set up to have as spare parts). All this new stuff undoubtedly makes vehicles MUCH more driveable and comfortable, but for sheer utility I'd want it to be as simple as possible. No way I'd want a CJ for a daily driver, but for sheer utility the simpler the better.

An old MB would be ideal IMO. Heck those are light enough for 4 big men to move by hand. If you had to be able to carry a lot of stuff with you a scrambler with full hard top/roof rack would be nice.

wouldn't purchase a rubi, too much $$ to be cut up and beat on the way I like too.

Fuel inject a cj and wun-tuns...

I'm a firm believer in KISS too, and as much as I hate computers etc I'll have to say that I've had an explorer and also a 4 runner that each ran to over 150,000 miles without needing work, but the 76 Chev pickup and restored 54 ford with 289ci I drove in high school constantly needed adjusting and were worthless if you changed elevation or the temperature changed 100+ degrees a year like where I grew up. I really like the TJ Rubi and think it would be a reliable vehicle for world travel if a few things were modified. Check out the link (you'll have to google "lonewolf expedition" which is some 20-something's who drove a defender around the globe.

I think a reasonalbe upgrade list for world travel would include:
4" suspension
33" x 10.5"s with 2 spares
9,500 front winch
Highlift for rear recovery
Shovel/axe etc
Front and rear auxillary lights
110 V converter
Small auxillary 12V air compressor
MapGas welding kit
Spare U joints, drive line, headlights, fuses, possibly a spare computer from a totaled 4.0 TJ
12V cooler to keep local brews cold
Doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis, Cipro for traveler's diarrhea

I'm still waffeling about the top: hard top for security or soft top with lockable storage inside for the fun of removing the top on the journey. Anyone want to come along?

Better start looking for a trailer to carry all the extras. I don't think you will need an extra computer. Complete failure is pretty rare on them.
I'll have to pass due to my aversion for malaria and diarrhea.

Excellent point, I'll have to get one of those AdventureBuilt trailers or the like. Regarding malaria and traveler's diarrhea, you can take prophylaxis for each of those, it's hepatitis, rabies, and TB that you have to watch out for! You really should go check out that "lonewolf expedition" website, even though it's a landrover!

I don't think you will need an extra computer. Complete failure is pretty rare on them.

I dont know about that... If you cross many rivers, it WILL eventually die on you! If you dont beleive me, I can send you a dead ECU to prove it (not mine, but a good friend's).

Felipe

Premier Power Welder
Underhood shower
Pull pal
Milemarker hydraulic winch
soft top
battery buddy
GPS

I dont know about that... If you cross many rivers, it WILL eventually die on you! If you dont beleive me, I can send you a dead ECU to prove it (not mine, but a good friend's).

Felipe
On a TJ Rubicon? Most of the modern ECM's are sealed up tight. An earlier one would likely not be water tight.
If your crossing water that deep, I would be concerned about getting water in the fuel as well.

I really like the TJ Rubi and think it would be a reliable vehicle for world travel if a few things were modified.

Well from my experience with Jeeps, reliable isn't exactly a word I would use to describe them. Fun, tough, capable, sure, but reliable, no way. Maybe an old Land Cruiser.

As for issues with "keeping them tuned" etc, remember, you're talking about going out into the middle of nowhere. Do you think the local tribes are going to have a code reader to tell you why you computer equipped vehicle is in limp mode? Nope, but if your carb screws up, you unbolt it with simple hand tools and disassemble it, clean it out, and put it back together. Even if you simply go to fuel injection you are complicating things to the point where parts would simply not be available (crank position sensor (?)). For what you are talking about, you need a capable (mild lift, good tires, lockers, winch, hilift, at least 2 spares, extra water, oil, gear oil, welder, air compressor just to start) rig that is as simple as possible. That means carb. A FI vehicle is much more driveable and comfortable, but a carbed vehicle can be rigged to run with much more primitive fabrication. If you want something you can rig up with welds, bailing wire, and duct tape, you don't want ANY unneccesary electronics, and you don't want anything to be more complicated than it has to be to make the vehicle run.

(flame suit on)
And the LAST vehicle I would want is anything made by Chrysler. Not trying to offend anyone here. My AMC Jeeps won't be winning any awards for reliability either, but Dodge/Chrysler are and always have been total crap IMO. One could say the same about my AMC's and I'd agree with you, but that doesn't mean I don't love my AMC's, it just means I'm honest with myself and others about them.

In all honesty, you're probably right. I spent some time in Africa 2 years ago and there were definately no Jeeps. There were landrovers and toyotas, and parts a plenty. A good tight 1980's 4cylinder toyota pickup with mild lift and Gooser's list would be a good start. I'd have to disagree with the hydrolic winch, however. If you got in trouble and had to move and your engine was crapped out, at least an electric winch and 2 big 1000 amp batteries could move you a pretty good distance in jungle, desert, snow, whatever. Also a truck with sleeper would let you sleep in a secure environment and slip through the rear window and into the cab to start the engine and drive away if trouble came knocking. As much as I love my rubicon, a "sleeper" that looks like a garbage can on the outside but is extremely reliable and tight underneath would be less likely to be stolen/vandalised. The rubi would at least have to be hit with a couple cans of various primers and colors to look less "hijackable!"

Another thought if money wasn't an object: The coil sprung TJ is pretty hard to beat. It could, theoretically be stripped of electronics etc and refitted with CJ wiring harness etc couldn't it. I think that 4.0 has been around for quite a while. What about AEV's deisel conversion for reliability and longevity?

Another thought if money wasn't an object: The coil sprung TJ is pretty hard to beat. It could, theoretically be stripped of electronics etc and refitted with CJ wiring harness etc couldn't it. I think that 4.0 has been around for quite a while. What about AEV's deisel conversion for reliability and longevity?

You can use a carb on a 258 (4.2L) with the head off of a 4.0 and will get a power increase. Think about how basic an old Willys is; nothing electrical but lights, gauges, and ignition. That's what I would want. Trust me, you don't want a CJ wiring harness. The grounding on CJ wiring harnesses leave a lot to be desired. If money wasn't an object, you could wire the vehicle by hand and make sure everything was grounded well and waterproofed as well as possible.

An old 4bt diesel will fit in a CJ, so I imagine you could swap it into a wrangler. Those are simple and would be the way to go if you wanted diesel.

As far as a winch goes, I've got electric, but if I were over there I would want a nice come-along to supplement my regular winch.....

The only thing I do NOT like about that rig is the paint job... I mean really, would you take something with THAT paint to the trail? How do you fix it when it gets scratched??? Although for the purpose they are using it for, I find it appropiate!

Back