1980 CJ7 4wd not engaging

Troubleshooter

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, new to Jeeps as well. Bought a fixer upper, and a plastic gas tank and new brake lines later, I have a running '80 CJ7 Renegade with a snowplow on the front. Problem is, it's only 1-wheel drive right now, I can only plow on level ground and need to get this 4wd fixed.

Have it in the shop right now, pulled the bolts out of the left manual hub down at the wheel. The plastic selector seems to turn 360 and won't stop. Also, when I push this hub back on by hand and rotate, I'm getting the joint / knuckle to spin with this action like it is engaged. I don't know if I just released something or what when I pulled it off.

I do not have a manual yet and looking for recommendations to which one would be best?

I am trying to do this before I can get my hands on a manual though. Main question; where are the top 5 places to start when your 4wd won't engage.

Shifter works, light comes on in Hi and Low. I am going out now to see if I can lift it up off the ground for any drive shaft action.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New finding - 2-18-08 5:35 p.m.
I lifted Jeep - all wheels off the ground; Looks like I have back wheels turning and front drive shaft turning. So either something is wrong in the axle?? or I have a problem with both lockouts engaging??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,

Troubleshooter

Last edited:

Sorry I can't help you with your problem but wanted to welcome you to jeepz. I am sure some of the guys around here will be able to help you with any problems.

First of all, WELCOME!!

If it were me, I would replace your front hubs with the Premium WARN.
It has been a while since I have been into the front end of a CJ, but I would pull the hubs, repack the wheel bearings and replace the wore out-lock outs with some WARN Lock outs. Just my .02 To me, the lock-outs sound like they are shot.

Anybody else have ideas?

If it were me, I would replace your front hubs with the Premium WARN.
It has been a while since I have been into the front end of a CJ, but I would pull the hubs, repack the wheel bearings and replace the wore out-lock outs with some WARN Lock outs. Just my .02 To me, the lock-outs sound like they are shot.

Thanks RED,

You were right, I pulled the left hub off and didn't understand how it worked at first until I disassembled it. Parts flew everywhere :) my kind of tinkering! Anyway, the good news is that they are "Warn" and after removing all the old grease and understanding the small plastic ring (nut) that holds the spring between the plastic bushing and turn selector, I finally pressed it in hard enough to thread it back on like it's supposed to be. If this is not started in the right position, the gear won't engage properly. The right one was just plain froze up, needing some cleaning so it would slide in and out when turning the selector. Fairly simple once one digs into it.

Bad news is that I found that my knuckles on each side need the joints replaced, pretty well worn out. It has 62K miles and have heard from second owner that the snowplow was on it from day one.

I appreciate it RED for your input! I pray that GOD will bless you in a mighty way!

Troubleshooter

Glad to be of some help! I hope you enjoy your CJ. I have had two over the years and have a 98 TJ now. I still miss the CJ"s though!

Hey, how 'bout posting some pics of your new ride?! 8)

Edit:
BTW, It's good that you found the bad joints. Better now than later! I would really go over the entire Jeep and check EVERYTHING (fluids, driveline, steering ETC..) especially since it has had the snowplow on the front. Also I would change out all the fluids and refill with fresh. Again, just my .02

Last edited:
Back